Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

We got pidgeon!

Kelly
    Admin

We got pidgeon!

Post  Kelly on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:51 pm

A local and I were talking back and forth about his pidgeons he uses for human food, and he eventually decided not to offer us any as it was easier for him to just compost the leftovers.

Well, the other day he called and said he had some for us! He uses the term "Squab" and not pigeon, so I try and refer to it as such.

He gave us about 10 baby squab ranging from just getting pin feathers to almost adult birds who have passed away in the nest (parents stop feeding, or he culls the parents so culls the babies). As well as about 12 adults. For the adults, he takes the breasts and legs, so all that is left is the insides/back/head/neck/wings/tail. We are so far, just using the backs and insides/necks. Maybe soon we'll upgrade to heads, but so far the kids aren't interested in those larger "weird" things.

Re: We got pidgeon!

Post  Jack&Harley on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Very interesting. You can buy squab in our local grocery store but its pretty expensive I'm thinking $6-7/lb

Leslie
    Timothea

Post  Timothea on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a pigeon coop in my back yard that I have repurposed to a shed. Maybe I should look at raising them myself?

I've always wondered why people raised them, I always thought it was some fancy bird thing, didn't know they ate them too.

Lucky you to get the extras! Are you letting them have the feathers too?
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Not tons of feathers, as we also have many parrots and we don't really want them to think feathers = dinner (although, it does.. LOL). They will get some feathers on the baby squab and the backs (i leave some on), but no wings/tails.. too tempting to go after our guys. I want them to one day be able to eat whole adult squab with tail/wings cut off.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am