Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

Tripe

Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Tripe Empty Tripe

Post  Quinnchilla Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 pm

First off, HI! Sorry for the disappearance. I had some personal things going on in my life and long story short the guys were off raw because I was traveling and either leaving them (too much work for the bf) or bringing them so they went back on Orijen. But soon we are moving back to NYC (thank god!) and after the move I plan to put them back on a raw diet. Woohoo!

Anywho I wanted to ask about raw green tripe. I've been reading a few articles lately on people feeding a diet of mainly tripe with some bone, meat and organ thrown in. And with AMAZING results. I MIGHT MIGHT be adding a Great Dane into my family, and it seems like other owners of larger breed dogs have had major success with prolonging life span (and health obviously) by feeding this type of diet to other large breeds. And, I'm still all new to this, but they were talking about how the ratios in tripe are close to perfect and yada yada.

I haven't heard any other accounts of it though, and wanted to see what people thought of it, and reasons it could be bad/good. Basically any thoughts on this model of raw feeding.
    Heather
    Heather

Tripe Empty Re: Tripe

Post  Heather Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 pm

This isn't a reflection on anyone in particular but it REALLY irks me- these people who tote tripe as a "miracle food" and all this other baloney. Tripe is stomach. Tripe is considered muscle meat. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a SMALL part of a whole (animal) and should be fed in proportion as such. Just like a diet of mainly ANYTHING isn't going to be healthy, essentially a tripe diet won't either. If it was all our carnivores needed to eat then herbivores would have been born with a stomach that accounted for 80% of their entire being. The best plan to follow is stick to what mother nature has laid right out in front of us.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 am

Agreed, while tripe probably can be a good portion of the mucsle part of the diet, I don't think it should be primary. 40% tops maybe? Especially good if you get it cheap (our butcher gives us a whole stomach/intestine for $10), but maybe not so great if you can't get an awesome deal.

Betty doesn't even like tripe. Sad
    Muse
    Muse

Post  Muse Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I've done a lot of research over the years, and I'm still browsing raw feeding articles when I have some time to myself, and there's one key thing I've learned in my quest for higher learnings:

Most of the raw feeding "trends" revolve around something people can get for cheap.

The BARF diet, which is probably the diet that brought the most amount of attention to raw feeding, is very bone and organ heavy, the stuff people don't want to eat, so you don't have to feed your dog the more expensive "choice cuts".

I can get raw green tripe for pennies on the pound at any butcher, but a nice fat rib roast is going to cost me $30, and my dog may still be hungry after he eats it! Both are considered "muscle meat", so it would be easy to justify feeding tripe over rib roast.

The example is probably a little extreme. I wouldn't spend $30 on a rib roast for my dog either! He can wait until we find one at/past date or that's freezer burnt. But the point is the same. People will always find a way to spend the least amount of money possible while still looking like heroes. Watch out for feeding trends like that.
    yassy
    yassy

Post  yassy Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:44 pm

I know Tripe has good enzyme and has also probiotic effect. I think Tripe is good thing to feed but like others say,not magical food.You still need to provide variety of protein overtime.By doing so,you can provide all different kinds of nutrition each protein has to offer.

My dog loves Tripe but I personally feed as side dish,each time about ice cube size along with real meal and i feed 2 times per week. I prefer not to dominate over all diet.
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah I understand what your all saying. And I agree variety is important. Although they obviously wouldn't say it in an article I don't think it was really about the cost of it at all.

I do think that tripe is a good thing to feed obviously, isn't the stomach and such what wolves eat first in the wild anyway? But yeah I wouldn't think a diet comprised of just one thing would be beneficial, but I know a lot of raw feeders feed much more of one meat than others, so why would that be more unacceptable with tripe? People have chicken or beef or whatever meat they are getting for free from hunting or something heavy diets, and no one complains.
    I'm not even feeding raw at the moment, when I do go back to it I'm not planning to do all tripe, it was just something that caught my attention from reading some articles.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Well, I totally get your point, as we use 50-60% beef in our diet. That's why I said it probably isn't a big deal to use tripe quite a lot. Especially if it's cheap/free. I think the main idea is just don't believe it's a miracle diet. Wink We all know variety is the spice of life! As long as your kids like and do well on a primarily tripe diet, why not?

It stinks though. AWFUL. LOL Your house and hands will smell like it for days. Ack!

Again, our diet here is primarily beef because that's what we get mostly for free and it's cheap. We also feed chicken/turkey/pork a lot, some lamb/venison/fish/rabbit/squab. I don't see my kids lacking for anything, and everyone seems to be happy with the mix. Smile They get beef I'd say 7 meals a week (14 meals total), and the other things thrown in the other 7 meals.
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh I know there is no miracle anything, even raw isn't a miracle diet in itself like some people tote it as, but that doesn't mean it certainly isn't more beneficial!
    I was just wondering if there was any truth behind the fact that tripe could really be something that is beneficial, more so than another meat. Something about the ratios and percentages of it being ideal and well balanced more so than other meat. I guess that would have been a better way to word it.

I don't know if tripe would be cheap for me at all. I'll have to go talk to all the butchers around and see who will give me deals on what back in NY.

And I've heard of the smell, but I'm sure its something you really have to experience. I'll try to feed it outside Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am