Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

2 posters

bringing my mom over to the dark side

Siam
    Siam

bringing my mom over to the dark side Empty bringing my mom over to the dark side

Post  Siam Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:06 pm

My family used to feed our dog Pedigree and the cats Purina cat chow, they had no interest in what was best they just went with what other people they knew fed. We've come a long way, I choose what we feed the animals. I had so much trouble convincing them to switch dry food and even more trouble getting them to allow me to feed wet food to the cats. I prevailed though, they now let me make decisions on food. The other day my brother's girlfriend was talking about how her cat was getting fat and had to go on a diet but that he's always hungry so she does not want to cut back on hie food. I told her that she should feed less dry and more wet because dry food had grains or starches in them that made cats fat. I left it at that.

When we got home mom wondered if I should have told her to feed a better quality wet, i said that it could help, a can of wet full of grains, fruits and veggies is going to pack on the weight without filling the cat up, he poops most of the nutritional part out after all. She agreed, she said that when she eats cereal in the morning she is hungry way before lunch but when she eats a hard boiled egg she's full through lunch time. She later explained the nutritional value of meat over carbs to my grandmother, mom now understand why meat is good and other stuff is not.

Then when we were going away over night I had to have my brother (one who really wants nothing to do with the cats, he enjoys them the least) feed the cats, He only had to feed them two meals and I was just going to have him feed them kibbles for both meals, I didn't really trust him to do anything more involved. My mom then tells me to make sure I take out the meat I want Danny to feed Willie so it will be easy for him to do. I thought this was so funny, she is really liking the idea of me feeding Willie meat, it's just so different from even a few months ago and drastically different from two years ago when we fed Purina and I had to fight her to switch to Felidae. I'm proud of my mom Laughing
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

bringing my mom over to the dark side Empty Re: bringing my mom over to the dark side

Post  Kelly Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 pm

That's wonderful, Siam! Isn't it awesome to know that you've influenced her thought processes too? I always get all giddy when my SO/mom/dad pipes up that raw is the best thing ever.

Now, to change the DAD (always the hardest, those men)!LOL
    Siam
    Siam

bringing my mom over to the dark side Empty Re: bringing my mom over to the dark side

Post  Siam Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 pm

LOL I don't see dad changing. Dad acting as though he understood and already knew about fillers and such in pet food and how they are just used because they are cheap but have no nutritional value and make more poop. He just doesn't much care about what goes into the kitties, so I don't see him ever speaking out in favor of good food. However the neighbor offered us a bunch of cans of Friskies because their cat passed away, Dad said he'd ask me and then came inside and then told me "Well they offered us cans of friskies which I know we won't be feeding but I told him I'd ask you", so he does know. I think I will take the cans though and bring them with me when I go to the shelter to volunteer next.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Well, atleast he is willing to just let the (SMART) ladies deal with it! Wink

Friskies, eh. We've started to keep a few cans of cheap-crap canned food (dog and cat), as well as some EVO (dog and cat) canned around in case of emergencies. When they're about to go bad, they go to the shelter and then we will buy new ones!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm