Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

Please Pray For Spencer's Return

Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Please Pray For Spencer's Return Empty Please Pray For Spencer's Return

Post  Auntie Crazy Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:53 am

My nine month old ex-feral kitten, Spencer, escaped two nights ago. I saw him briefly yesterday morning, but no one's seen or heard him since. Although he's very fond of me and sleeps on my pillow every night, he remains extremely skittish and startles at the slightest sound. He's way too scared to come to me outside, or even to allow me to approach him, so I've set up a Hav-a-Heart trap, but nothing so far. With everyone in the neighborhood mowing yesterday (the first sunny day we've had in weeks) and the fireworks last night, I'm very much afraid my little friend is on the run. Of course, those who didn't mow yesterday are mowing this morning and the fireworks tonight are going to be crazy. Sad

Please, folks, pray Spencer remains nearby, and pray that he'll gather the courage to enter the trap soon.

Thank you.

A.C.

Spencer
    Please Pray For Spencer's Return DSCF9940
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Please Pray For Spencer's Return Empty Re: Please Pray For Spencer's Return

Post  Kelly Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:18 pm

*HUGE HUGS*

I will be praying for Spencer's safe return and that he stays safe!

What about this afternoon, before it gets dark, bringing a sibling out in a carrier or leash to entice him close to home? Stinky can of tuna?

Goodluck. I was a mess the 2 days Zaqkeri ran out of the house, but he came back. Keep your chin up, I am sure he will be back. I love you
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:23 pm

We're praying for Spencer! Return home safe!
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Oh no!

Where do you have the trap placed? It seems that it would be a good idea to put it somewhere out of sight, along side of the house or garage foundation, under a bush, where a scared cat is likely to go.

Placing a fav toy, some kitty treats, catnip, or even your sock or towel or small kitty blankie with your smell or the household aroma on it inside the trap might coax him to investigate it.

Does he have an ID collar, tattoo or microchip for positive identification on him? Have you posted flyers with his photo around the neighborhood and physically checked in all the local shelters and with the police station?

Hoping the fireworks and the mowing gets rained out, at least a little, and that Spencer is home safe very soon!
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement. I'm just so upset it's all I can do not to cry. I just know where ever he is, he's petrified.

My apartment is on a double lot, with the building on one side of the lot and the yard next to it. Directly behind the house, there's a single lot woodsy area and between the yard and the house behind it (beside the woodsy area) is a strip of woods a few yards deep. Spencer was born under the shed of that yard. I have the Havahart set up just at the edge of that strip, next to my screenhouse. When I saw him yesterday morning, he was peering around the corner of the screenhouse looking towards my apartment, so I'm hoping (and praying) he's tucked away under that shed again.

The trap is baited with his favorite foods, covered with the blanket the cats rest on in front of the picture window and sprinkled with cat nip. I put his sister, Heather, in a cat carrier and tucked her at the end of the trap for several hours yesterday and, once the noise dies down tonight, I'll put her back out until morning. I feel so guilty leaving her outside all night, but I need to use whatever incentive I have available to bring Spencer in, don't I?

Please, Spencer, come home!!!
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:03 am

Oh, how are you going to sleep with both Spencer and Heather outside? I do think it's a great idea to have Heather out there though, you are less likely to catch someone ELSE'S cat in the havahart. Here's hoping that Spencer comes in tonight!

I lost my childhood cat for almost A week when I was a kid Sad it was awful. We would spend hours yelling "here AutumnAutumnAutumn, come'on" I can't tell you how relieved I was when I saw her running under the bush to me at the end of the week, my parents thought she must have been hit by a car, to not come home for so long. None the worse for wear though, I may add. I hope you have a night like that tonight.
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:28 am

I had a Siamese cat when I was a young teen, Ming, who was let out by a cousin - my cats were never outdoor cats, and he came home 3 years later!
    We think he had been taken in and kept by someone, as he was dirty, but well fed and obviously hadn't been running as a stray all that time.
    He was a sweety, and knew he was home as soon as I picked him up - he started purring and rubbing on me.
    Used to sit at the window when I left for school in the morning and cry, the way only Siamese can, for hours.
    Then he'd find some newspapers or magazines to shred for me to clean up when I got home. cat
    Loved that cat.
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 pm

He's home, he's home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for staying with me through this, it really helped. Sheez, though, I hope I don't have to go through it again any time soon.

But, yes!, yes!, he's home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:44 pm

He won't be getting outside again anytime soon, eh? So glad you got him back so quickly!!!Please Pray For Spencer's Return Jump%20happy
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Yay!

Do tell. cat
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Yay!!! *party*
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh, AC! I am so happy to hear he is okay! Is the trap w/Heather what brought him in?
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 pm

I can tell y'all share my excitement at having my little man, Spencer, back!

The back entrance to my building is at ground level and opens into a short hallway to the left and a set of stairs to the right. The short hallway leads to my apartment entrance door and to my laundry room entrance door, while the stairs lead to the second floor apartment landing. This is the hallway through which Spencer escaped.

In addition to setting the Havahart trap, I kept the building entrance and my laundry room entrance doors open in case Spencer was bold enough (or freaked out enough) to attempt to come inside. Several times while he was missing, I closed both doors and completed an internal search. During my first search this morning, I found him inside my laundry room. He started crying his heart out when I called him, then came right up to me and has not left my side (except to eat) since. *sniff*

He's quite filthy, but he's safe and sound and I couldn't be happier. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am