Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

4 posters

Panting after big meal

yassy
    yassy

Panting after big meal Empty Panting after big meal

Post  yassy Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I allow Palette to rip tear big pieces to eat more each time I feed big.She is now can eat up to 2lb or so per big meal time.She does not need "trade" item anymore for me to pick up the bone because she is too stuffed and,she just walk off.

I noticed when she eats big,she tends to pant quite a bit.Does your dog pant a lot too? When she was limited to about 1 lb or so (I fed big once a month but I timed to avoid digestive upset),I do not think she was panting that much.

I am wondering if big meal makes dog panting.

Thanks.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Panting after big meal Empty Re: Panting after big meal

Post  Timothea Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Charlotte pants a lot after a big meal, especially if it's so big she can't finish it. I think the most she ever ate at a sitting was about 7lbs, and she didn't do much afterwards. I thought of my dad after Thanksgiving doing nothing more than sitting and relaxing when she did that, but she had eaten Turkey so I didn't know if it was the Triptophans or the amount that knocked her out so much.

We haven't done a big meal in a while, but I'm getting a piglet soon and was planning on a big meal with that so I'll watch carefully and let you know.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Bety has had a few big meals.. and she generally waddles to a nice spot to snooze (panting as she does so).

Maybe the panting is doggy-ese for "Oh man am I full!"
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 am

It just indicates discomfort from really eating until they're full. Amos does this too with gorge meals. It's just like the Thanksgiving dinners we stuff ourselves with and then feel miserable for doing. When Amos gets a real complex meal that is not a gorge he pants too because I believe it is so mentally and physically taxing that he is left exhausted.
    yassy
    yassy

Post  yassy Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies.I am glad to know it was not just her doing it. So,from all replies I see here,Palette still needs to learn when to stop eating to be able to be comfortable?

I know she goes power nap after big meal. Must be real exercise physically& mentally.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm