Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

2 posters

Kibble fed and constipated

Heather
    Heather

Kibble fed and constipated Empty Kibble fed and constipated

Post  Heather Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Anyone had constipation issues in their cats prior to raw? Did being on raw solve the problem? My poor 9 year old red tabby boy has had constipation issues on and off for the past year or so. He's on EVO and while he does eat some raw, if it has skin or fat on it or the tiniest fragment of bone or cartilage he won't touch it. He will eat ground though and boneless chunks. I'm going to be able to get pork, turkey and chicken at a low cost from my co-op here soon and will invest in a grinder. I wanted to switch him for so long but the stuff he eats is expensive. Anyway, when he has a poop issue he doesn't use his box and just poops on the floor. He yowls as he's going and when it comes out it is rock hard. We add water to his dry food and mineral oil to help ease things along but nothing helps. Any input is appreciated.
    Siam
    Siam

Kibble fed and constipated Empty Re: Kibble fed and constipated

Post  Siam Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't know if raw will help but it's worth a try. In any case it will help him in other ways. If you feed raw chunks for his plain meat meals and ground everything for his bone meals that could work. For now, have you tried adding canned pumpkin to his food? I hear that can help if they'll eat it, just make sure it's plain canned pumpkin and not pie filling.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 pm

He's incredibly picky and won't even eat canned food. I tried to put him on canned food a few years ago and he ate it for about 2 weeks and then refused to eat it anymore and would only eat dry (and not even dry mixed with canned- just plain dry). Raw seems to be the only thing he will consistently eat as long as he has variety. When I get a grinder I can start to add rabbit and squirrel in and maybe some duck. It seems the red meats is what he vomits (venison and beef and I don't even get buffalo so haven't tried that). I hope one day he will actually eat some bone in but it might take a loooong time. I think maybe since the meat softens stool he'll he ok with lots of meat and just a little bone that's ground. Atleast the meat meals the dogs eat soften their stool.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:10 am