Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources)

steviesun

Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources) Empty Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources)

Post  steviesun Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:53 pm

To add to the young deer I found a month or so back I can now add to the list of dead animals discovered in the woods near us. Last week I discovered a hare.

No obvious signs of death but despite being a mile from home (or a road) I popped him into a poo bag and carried him home. Thankfully I didn't bump into anyone. He's being dissected though so not proper whole food.

The dissection is for the benefit of our neighbours' 8 year old home schooled daughter. She's been enjoying her anatomy books and would like to see a dissection. Found a roadkill rabbit friday so feel happy enough for this special whole food to be dissected.

Have also finally got round to asking another local who best to talk to about a regular source for rabbits. He's passing on the word to a local farmer's son that we'd like a supply of rabbits and anything else he shoots. We've been warned that it might include the odd whole deer. You can imagine my disappointment there Laughing

Also picked up about 15kg of ox heart for 63p/kg recently from a local cash and carry. Have run out of bone-in stuff that Saxen will eat (organic duck carcass is still apparently beneath him to eat), so I might have to pick him up a chicken from the supermarket. I got through the whole weekend thinking 'there was some reason I was going to go to the farm shop' scratch and only this morning realised it was so that I could pick up some lamb breast silent . At least I'll have been paid (first proper pay cheque in nearly a year) by the time I can next get over there, and I was able to feed rabbit to tide over from the last of the chicken.

Now please excuse me whilst I disappear to amazon to spend my pay before I get it (new job is making me miss lunchtime walkies but at least it means I can afford to feed better and that helps make up for it)
    Timothea
    Timothea

Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources) Empty Re: Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources)

Post  Timothea Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Can I tell you how jealous I am!!!! What a great find in that rabbit source, "may include the odd deer" indeed!!!
    steviesun

Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources) Empty Re: Free meat - walks in the woods (and my other recent sources)

Post  steviesun Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:08 pm

That is if anything comes of it. I have spent lots of time chasing about these things. It's a convoluted network of people around here, I keep hoping that at some point I'll make contact with the right person. That and the lad helping me actually remembers to talk to those right people. Finding people who hunt and are willing to part with something is so hit and miss. And of course they think the law says one thing when it actually says another etc etc (for example game is excluded under the animal by-products law here in the UK but not a lot of hunters actually seem to know that).
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:37 pm

I can't tell you how many people I network with to get cheap/free stuff. Several hunters, CL posters, friends, relatives. About 1 in 20 proves fruitful. It will be very nice if your contact bears anything worth feeding! Deer are nice.. so are rabbits. Wild ones are better than any store bought or even naturally raised ones could ever be.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am