Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+2
artsiekat
Siam
6 posters

Changes?

Siam
    Siam

Changes? Empty Changes?

Post  Siam Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:14 pm

For those of you who used to feed dry or canned food and now feed raw, what changes did you notice in your cats? What changes occurred quickly and which ones took a while? For those that took a while, how long did they take to be noticeable? I was also curious about the condition of your cat's teeth. for those that have fed raw for at least a few months how are your cat's teeth? Have they improved if they were poor? If they were never bad (or your cat has always eaten raw) have they remained nice and white?
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Changes? Empty Re: Changes?

Post  artsiekat Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Othello's teeth have always been white, but his breath smells so much better now! Before, he had some awful breath.

I think his coat has gotten shinier and softer too.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Siam wrote:For those of you who used to feed dry or canned food and now feed raw, what changes did you notice in your cats? What changes occurred quickly and which ones took a while? For those that took a while, how long did they take to be noticeable? I was also curious about the condition of your cat's teeth. for those that have fed raw for at least a few months how are your cat's teeth? Have they improved if they were poor? If they were never bad (or your cat has always eaten raw) have they remained nice and white?

Since our cats age from babies to seniors when we started raw, this is a wonderful question for us to answer!

Changes right away: the poop! After the inital "detox" we no longer had poops that well.. smelled like poop. I can't tell wether a cat has pee'd/poo'd unless I am right there watching. We never (NEVER!!!) smell poop unless someone has eaten too much liver *glares at Penelope*. Activity levels went way up during the first week, as well.

Changes that took a while (a while being a month or more): Skin flakeyness/hair, it got slightly better at first, but now.. wow. It's crazy. I don't think anyone sheds much, and my SO is no longer alleric to them. Wink Also, the weight loss. From my intro thread, you can see we had two very fat cats and the difference in them now is astounding. I actually get a little ill looking at the before picture of Penelope. Another thing, their pee actually doesn't smell anymore either! Weird, isn't it? I mean, I'm sure if someone pee'd on my clothes I would smell it, but the litter box NEVER smells like pee. We go through so little litter, too.. we have two large under the bed storage totes as boxes, and fill each with a box of Special Kitty and half a 30lb bag of clumping pine. This, being scooped pretty much daily, can last us atleast 3-4mths before we have to add another box OR bag (one, split between the two boxes), and then a month or two after that before we have to change it. Pretty cool if you ask me. Also, no one EVER says our house smells (and my doggie has wee-pads right by the front door Wink).

Teeth: Our oldest had what the vet said were "great teeth for a 14 year old", which I guess means none had to be pulled? They were all brown, and his gums were rather puffy. I just gave a look last night actually, and his teeth are ALL white, and his guns are a nice healthy pink, no red rims anymore and no puffyness! The rest all have whiter teeth than him, because they've had less crap in their shorter lives.
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Post  artsiekat Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 am

Kelly, that's amazing! Especially about the teeth, I can't believe it made such a huge difference!
    chris10
    chris10

Post  chris10 Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 am

The first thing I noticed was the POOPcheers. The only way I can smell it was by picking it up and holding it directly under my nose. The next thing I started to notice was a kitty of mine, who was gaining weight while his dry food was being proportioned out(using inactive level which is not much food) everyday, start losing weight. Their fur was already ok since the dry food contained a good fat source. So it only improved a little bit on raw. My 5 year old cat went from a semi active adult to a cat that defies the laws a gravity sometimes (just meaning has a lot of energy now). Last but not least their teeth are becoming white again. Thanks to chicken necks.
    Jack&Harley
    Jack&Harley

Post  Jack&Harley Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:29 pm

The boys have only been eating one raw meal a day in addition to either dry or canned--for the last two weeks. I am flabergasted in the behavior change in Harley--he's been with us for 9 months now and this is the first time Ive truly seen him act like a kitten--at a mere 2 years old. He played bed mice yesterday morning and I was laughing hysterically because he's never once shown interest before.

Jack on the other hand was already a kitten, now its like I have hyper kitten--he's off the walls.

Leslie
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:16 pm

My cats have been on raw food for three weeks and three days now, 100% raw a little over half that time.

I've seen several changes in them: no more tuna breath (I kinda miss that, actually Rolling Eyes), a drop in poop quantity and odor, and an increase in the softness and shine of their fur, to name a few. By far, however, the biggest change is the increase in activity level. I now have five kittens, not two! It's astonishing, actually, how much more energy and.... playfulness my cats have.

The evidence is irrefutable - the high-end, mostly grain- and fish-free cat foods I was feeding clearly weren't providing my furchildren with everything they need to be their happiest, healthiest selves. I am blown away at the difference in them.

And, Leslie - I'm right there with you. The first time Allen starting pouncing my quilt, I almost cried. He hasn't done that since he was a wee kitten and now he's bouncing all over the bed every morning.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am