Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips?

Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips? Empty What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips?

Post  Kelly Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm

So far, our best deal has been posting on Kijiji and getting freezer burnt meat. I'm still asking around to butchers for an "in" to internal organs.
    Jack&Harley
    Jack&Harley

What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips? Empty Re: What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips?

Post  Jack&Harley Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

I got some great free meat on craigslist--venison.

Also a local butcher packages beef trim and organs for .69/lb ground--but if I call ahead they wont' grind mine.

I also got turkey thighs .79/lb at an great local supermarket--amish raised.

Also chicken is on sale at at least one of the local stores each week for .99/lb I've gotten chicken split breasts with ribs and wings thus far.

Leslie
    Heather
    Heather

What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips? Empty Re: What's the best deal on meat you've found? Any tips?

Post  Heather Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm

The best deals by far have been craigslist. One time I got around 250 lbs of grassfed beef that the guy couldn't eat first off because he had heart disease and his doctor told him to stay away from red meats. Also he thought the meat thawed and refroze at one point so he wasn't going to risk giving it to family either (it turned out to be fine though). There was no room to store it all so I visited another raw feeder (ungrateful, I should mention) and gave her half and only charged her half of gas money. I still have 2 gallon bags of beef steak left and this was over a year ago. The other real good deal I got was 2 skinned, gutted, quartered deer carcasses. That was this year. Brought my venison poundage up to like 250. And one more- a friend of mine's hubby went out duck hunting and gave me 7 ducks, 4 of them being VERY large mallards. I would be visiting taxidermists! There is no need for meat in my freezer now but when I start running low I will be calling them. People have had excellent luck getting loads of deer necks during the fall. Just make sure they don't use anything on the meat to help skin easier.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm supposed to be going to a field trial in a couple of months, near Stratford. The hunters kill and just leave the birds there for the taking. Most of them already have full freezers, so another good suggestion is to hit them up when hunting season is beginning, they often get rid of their frozen meat to make room for their catch.

I got deer steaks this way. This year I may go hunting myself, I DO have a gundog, might as well use her.

Kelly, I'll let you know about the field trial, you could let Betty try, see if there's any pointer in her!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 pm

*LOL* Point-her in the direction of the best place to snooze is more like it!

Let me know when you go, we'll join you and get free meat. Smile
    garybedwell

Post  garybedwell Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 am

Also chicken is on sale at at least one of the local stores each week for .99/lb I've gotten chicken split breasts with ribs and wings thus far.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am