Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

This ever happen to any of you?

Timothea

This ever happen to any of you?

Post  Timothea on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Charlotte got some calf's feet today, absolutely loves them. They bone that is left looks just like a wreck bone, and it's really small, but it has a space in it, so instead of being a closed circle, it is like a C.

Charlotte got one of her back teeth stuck in this bone, and was gagging on it. I pulled it out, and gave it back to her, and she stuck it in the same way on the same side about half a minute later. I got it out again, but this time didn't give it back to her, there wasn't anything left but bone, and it was too small for her. Wouldn't have been a problem for a little dog, but I will NEVER leave her unattended with a bone EVER, after this.

It was hard to calm her enough to get at the bone, she was whipping her head around, and pawing at her face, but I grabbed her and just forced my hand in her mouth to take it out. I now have a big gash on my hand, those teeth are sharp, but my dog is okay! I don't know if I'll give her the rest of the hooves, they really are too small for her.
    Heather

Re: This ever happen to any of you?

Post  Heather on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 pm

I've had Waverli get a piece of soft bone stuck on her canines and sometimes if she's eating a flat bone it sticks to her top teeth and I have to push in and down on her top lips to get it dislodged.

Post  Kelly on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:11 pm

This can definately be a scary thing! I am so glad your baby is okay, and what a good mommy to get cut just to save her. I would have done the same!

I think any thing should be watched when eaten, until they've had it a few times and you know how it does down. That said, I would NEVER give and leave the house.. but I do feed and wander the house getting ready for work. There are many tiny bones/pieces/etc we don't know about in animals and there is always a risk something will get stuck/etc.

However, as long as you are diligent, I do believe you could feed her those again.. just make sure when she gets close to being done you take it away. Or possibly remove the piece, if possible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am