Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

4 posters

Pup refusing raw now

Heather
    Heather

Pup refusing raw now Empty Pup refusing raw now

Post  Heather Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm

I wanted some more opinions on this. Brie ate raw chicken with gusto Friday and Saturday. She ate a semi-large piece Saturday night and all day today she has refused anymore. She ate a little canned food off my finger and I smeared a piece of chicken with some and she licked the canned food off and ate the chicken only after I tore it in half. She doesn't have any reason for not eating other than if she was really extremely full from last night but she pooped it all out today and hasn't pooped anymore so there's nothing in her stomach. She also puked up a bunch of bile early this evening. I am worried about holding out because she is only 9 weeks old and 6 lbs. I worry about her blood sugar dropping. She was at the vet yesterday and got a clean bill of health. She's not sick that I can tell. Should I just wait her out? She has also pretty much slept all day so not really burning calories to need lots of food. Maybe that has something to do with it too? I don't know what to do.

ETA: I tried to feed her pork and beef and she refused both.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Pup refusing raw now Empty Re: Pup refusing raw now

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 pm

Hmm.. I know the right answer might be to wait it out, but with a puppy I would just give canned mixed with raw chunks or somesuch. I don't worry about adult dogs, but puppies seems to need more so I wouldn't wait her out longer than 24-48hrs.

Frozen might help. Perhaps a little squirrel? Razz
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:19 pm

If she's puking bile then she probably needs more food, I would be more concerned about getting something into her than getting her to eat just raw especially with her being so young and small. I agree with mixing some meat in with the canned if you want to make sure she is still getting the taste of the raw with every meal.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 pm

I fed Charlotte raw from puppyhood, but didn't have to wean her off the flavourings they put in kibble, so didn't have such a problem. You could try ground mixed with yogurt and cottage cheese, that's what the breeder had Charlotte on. They don't need the dairy, but will eat it, and it has lots of fat, just what a puppy needs. You could even mix in a bit of kibble just to flavour it. Wean off the kibble and then the cottage cheese, and once her taste buds come back, try the raw again. I only fed quarters when Charlotte was a puppy, so a big meal might be too much for her right now, maybe feed smaller pieces more often?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 pm

It was suggested to me to try some low sodium, low fat chicken of beef broth and I made some chicken broth up and she went crazy over it! After she drank it all she ate a good portion on boneless turkey. Yay!
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Yay! you must be relieved! I bet she was just still full!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 am