Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

4 posters

Low energy

nbloch64
    nbloch64

Low energy Empty Low energy

Post  nbloch64 Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:33 pm

My golden seems to be sleeping all day since I switched him to raw. His teeth and coat look better, but his energy level is low. He has spurts of energy and he does go for a 3 mile walk/jog every morning, but he is 20 mos old and I think he should be more energetic. He is a mellow dog anyway, but the sleeping all day long seems to be a bit much. I wonder if I am giving too much bone and not enough meat in his diet? He is currently getting a chicken back with a breast in the morning and a back with 3/4 of a breast in the evening. I thought he might be getting too much bone so I am alternating evening back feedings to every other night so he only gets breast meat in the evening feedings every other night. I just started raw feeding last Tuesday and he has no problem eating it. I am looking forward to switching protein sources in a week, but want to remain on chicken until then. I am worried about feeding too much meat and going over the 80/10/10 ratio though. He is not getting organs yet as I want to wait another week or two before I introduce those as well.
    Giselle
    Giselle

Low energy Empty Re: Low energy

Post  Giselle Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:52 pm

You are most probably just now beginning to see the real Jedi!

The one without chemicals and additives in his li'l body, hyping him up.

Some dogs are more active on raw, some less - its not lack of energy. Its the absence of cr*p.

Relax a bit and enjoy him!
    nbloch64
    nbloch64

Post  nbloch64 Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 pm

That would be most excellent if it is in fact the case with him. He was the most mellow pup at 6 weeks out of several litters, which is why I picked him. I had to offset my border collie's high energy with a mellow partner. Thank you for the information.
    steviesun

Post  steviesun Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 pm

nbloch64 wrote:That would be most excellent if it is in fact the case with him. He was the most mellow pup at 6 weeks out of several litters, which is why I picked him. I had to offset my border collie's high energy with a mellow partner. Thank you for the information.

The day Saxen was picked up at 15 weeks my OH had to crawl into the kennel to get his pup. Saxen is laid back to the Nth degree. He quite literally spends half his day asleep on his back. He used to be bouncier and more "full of energy" when he was kibble fed, but switching him to raw we saw a difference between hyper and happy. Saxen sleeps almost as much as any cat, BUT will do almost any amount of exercise you ask of him. His sleep and rest isn't the 'lack of energy' that truly means he's lacking energy, it's just him being laid back. I think it's an important difference.
    nbloch64
    nbloch64

Post  nbloch64 Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm

That is great to hear. I have been waking him up to play more today and he has energy every time we play and is very much Jedi. Nugget has been a tad bit more mellow since the raw diet, which is great because she is very high energy!
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Just keep an eye out for actual lethargy which could indicate a medical issue.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm