Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+5
Auntie Crazy
artsiekat
Kelly
SisMorphine
Quinnchilla
9 posters

Hey all!

Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Hey all! Empty Hey all!

Post  Quinnchilla Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Well me and my boyfriend are happily owned by 2 chihuahuas and 6 ratty boys. I guess I wont post about them since they aren't on raw though!

This is Phoebe, our little diva girl Rolling Eyes She is 9.5 months old (boy time flys) and I have had her since she was 11 weeks. She certainly has a TON of personality in her tiny, 3 lb frame, and I can't imagine my life without her anymore.
    She has only been on raw for like 2 1/2 weeks now but has done famously. My issue is cost though. I haven't been able to get any free meat nor does the butcher want to help out with cheaper/free scraps. Phoebe also needs to gain weight and has been eating MORE than her fair share of food. Feeding her alone for these past 2 weeks has already cost about 15 bucks! And thats not even with organ meat and such yet *sigh*

Hey all! E211b2a9
    Hey all! A85c0c9e
    Hey all! 880f78e8

Schroeder (like the Peanuts character) is our new addition who we have had for about a week and a half now. He is such a goober, and I'm so happy that we finally found another dog that fits in with our family after searching for a little while. He is 11 months old and has NOT been doing well with us starting him on raw. He doesn't seem to be able to hold anything down, and it tends to come out of both ends YUCK

Hey all! 0ac33b01
    Hey all! 94ca7cd6

It has been an adjustment but they are starting to get a lot more buddy buddy now.

Hey all! 9aa2946a
    Hey all! 0bb0c670

Anyways we are happy to be here (and very late introducing ourselves sorry!) and hopefully will learn a lot more and get Schroeder adjusted somehow!
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Hey all! Empty Re: Hey all!

Post  SisMorphine Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Welcome!!

What was Shroeder on before? And exactly how are you doing the raw transition for your kids?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Welcome! Glad to see you! Smile

I lub your puppies!

SisMorphine, I suggested to Quinnchilla that she go cold turkey but start with an easy meat like chicken (that's what we did, and I've read a lot of people on the Yahoo groups who recommend that method). I believe Schroder was on... Purina? I'm probably wrong, but I know when we spoke it was icky!

Do you perhaps have a better way she can transition her poor boy dog? I would love to hear! Very Happy I can relate to the tummy issues (as I have many myself), and it's no fun!

I also suggested that maybe he has a sensitivity to chicken, and starting with beef might help.. hope someone else can chime in to help poor Quinn and her babies.
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:28 am

When I tried to switch Wally (the Grey) it actually took me three tries. The first time it was cold turkey with turkey necks. Talk about an absolute DISASTER!! I don't think I've ever seen a dog vomit that much in my life. The second time it was slowly transitioning from kibble to raw using Nature's Variety (for both). It worked okay, but I still was having problems with soft stools. The best advice I got was from a Great Dane breeder, and vet. He said to use just chicken backs for 2 weeks. Absolutely nothing else, no treats, no ground chicken, no nothing. This diet worked perfectly for us. The bone to meat ratio is higher than in other options, which allows for a more solid stool. Plus it allowed his body to get rid of the rest of the junk that was still hanging out in there from his time on kibble (Euk *vomit*). Now the backs I get are a tad large for a Chi (LOL), but I have found that in most supermarkets they actually chop their backs into smaller pieces.

It is also suggested that they fast for a day, though with a dog as small as a Chi I don't suggest it due to possible blood sugar issues. Plus I could never fast any of my dogs. I just never saw the point in it.

Another thing to look at is how much you are feeding. If you are in fact feeding too much he may be getting diarrhea because of that. Multiple smaller meals, especially in the beginning, are key. Though I know people who feed once a day, I personally prefer to feed twice.

Just some stuff to think about for your adorable little kids Smile I was SO CLOSE to breaking down and getting a Chi last week. She was at work for a festival and was up for adoption and she was simply fantastic with every single person and every single dog there. Unfortunately I can't have anymore dogs where I'm living now. But that little thing was almost mine!!! LOL!
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Post  artsiekat Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 am

Oh my goodness! What cuties! Welcome. Smile
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 am

He was on Iams *barf*

I attempted what Kelly first told me, and what I did for Phoebe, which was to go cold turkey and just feed chicken (breast and wing). I didn't even get to feeding him bone. I fed him a little bit of breast, and it came out both ends, YUCK!

Then the next day I didn't feed him at all. I felt horrible (especially since I am OVER feeding Phoebe trying to beef her up) but he is larger than Pheebs and I wasn't as worried about blood sugar. So he fasted for a day and the next morning I gave him a drop. Probably less than the size of a dime, of chicken and he was vomiting for hours. I would try with wings, or backs, but I'm thinking maybe it is a chicken sensitivity since that is worst.

Beef made him vomit a little too. I'll try it again though...

Its so disheartening because I litterally had NO trouble so far *knock on wood* with switching Phoebe besides some weird scare that I still can't figure out. With Schroeder I feel like nothing will work. Its been a week of vomiting and gross smells. Anyone else with ideas let me know

I'm also going to go broke feeding them Rolling Eyes What we do for our "kiddos"
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 am

Alright if he's being that sensitive I would back up and do a bland diet for a couple days just to settle his digestive tract, and once he can handle that maybe try slowly adding in raw? If you're going with beef then do the extra lean as it'll be easier on his stomach. How was his stool on Iams?
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 pm

It stunk to high heavens! Wasn't runny but wasn't all that firm either but it didn't seem abnormal to me.

I could try a bland diet and slowly adding in raw. How should I do, like how long to wait and how much to add in at a time do you think? I'm very new to feeding raw though I had been reading up on it. Phoebe was my first try and she went like a dream, so now with Schroeder's problems I'm just a bit lost. Just the fact alone that he can't seem to hold anything down at all is bizarre to me, he's obviously got a very sensitive system....
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi and welcome, Quinnchilla! Your babies are adorable!!!

I hope Schroeder's digestive upsets smooth out soon. I know that's just no fun to deal with. No
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! Your dogs are adorable, Chis are starting to grow on me as a breed, though I've never been a small dog person, It's nice to see the difference that a good owner makes in the outgoing characteristic of the dog, sheltered small dogs give them all a bad name unfortunately. I love the pic of phoebe stretched out and I love Schroeder's color. I hope you can get things cleared up with his tummy, it must not be fun for either of you right now Crying or Very sad
    catalat
    catalat

Post  catalat Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am

Hello! Your chis are so adorable.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Two things jumped out at me from your post.

No. 1- What is the sodium content of the chicken you are feeding (anything over 90 mg has a sodium solution injected) and is it enhanced? It should say something on the package like such and such added to increase tenderness/juiciness.

No. 2- What is the temperature of the food you are feeding?
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 pm

It doesn't say anything like that on the packaging at all so I'm not sure?

The temperature I don't know exactly, I make sure it isn't too cold though. I do the exact same thing for my girl and she is perfectly fine and has never had any issues. She wasn't being transferred from such crap food though, would that play a role?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:15 am

What brand of chicken are you feeding? You may try thawing at room temp and when it's done, put it in a baggie in some warm water to further the process. All dogs are different, can tolerate different things in different amounts and at different times. My dog is now vomiting squirrel whereas before he LOVED it and kept it down fine. There's really no reason for it, I just feed him something else and hope one day he can eat it again. Try a different meat. I would go with rabbit. It's pretty much like chicken- bland, lean, soft bones.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:16 pm

I would try some ground tripe, the enzymes make it easier for your dog to raise up his immunity, which it sounds like he is having some problems with right now. He was on a pretty crappy food before, so not in peak condition, so he needs a little extra help. While dogs can tolerate bacteria no problem, they are still being introduced to new bacteria everytime you introduce a new meat to them, and they need to build up an immunity to it. A lot of dogs get runny poops, flaky dull skin, weepy eyes, and vomiting. The tripe will be good for him.

Also, if it turns out that he has an allergy to chicken, lamb seems to be fairly easy to switch onto, and most dogs really love it, more than a lot of other meats!

As to cost of food, you've got such little guys there, couldn't cost that much! I would look around for some new places to buy your food from, 15$ a week sounds high for such little guys! My girl is about 55lbs, still a puppy so eating a lot, and she eats about 15$ a week, so I would think your little guys should be less! (Canadian dollars, so even less if you make the conversion)

As long as it's about the same price as premium dog food, you're doing right by them price wise, cause if there wasn't raw, you'd be doing the premium thing right? Compare how much you'd spend if you were feeding evo or orijen, and see if it's close.
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Actually it was MUCH less on Orijen (it was only Phoebe, Schroeder is a new addition). I got a bag of Orijen for $15 CAD (I'm in Montreal right now) that lasted about 2 months, maybe more. It has cost about $15 for 2.5 weeks for Phoebe buying wings and breast. I am feeding her LARGE amounts because she really has trouble keeping her weight up, doesn't seem to be a medical thing though, so that accounts for some of it I'm sure but still. I haven't had any luck getting free or cheap meat yet, so I've been buying from the store and butcher, I don't know why the hell its so much.
    I will try rabbit and tripe.
    I figured the crap food would have something to do with it, I wish his previous owners had more knowledge...
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:32 pm

I would suggest instead of wings, use backs/necks. For Phoebe you could probably also start her on thighs/legs. Betty can eat a whole leg at one sitting (so it may help your lil one 'fatten up').

I hope the little man gets over his runs soon! Make sure the tripe is green and not bleached. Smile

(I wish we could just send you the raw we get for free! LOL I feel so bad it's costing a lot more right now, but it will get better.. make sure you spread the word to friends/family that you need freezer burnt meat, too.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm