Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

Rat video

Heather
    Heather

Rat video Empty Rat video

Post  Heather Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Waverli eating a rat

L size from Rodent Pro.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Rat video Empty Re: Rat video

Post  Kelly Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:24 pm

So glad you got over the "aww poor rat", cause she really looks like she's enjoying that! Very Happy
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 pm

I still have issues but I am doing better.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 pm

I still get a little squicked about the mice too. Someone asked me to take on a few as a rescue, I thought about it, but I don't think I can yet own and feed the same critter. Crying or Very sad
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:52 am

oh, come now, haven't you ever been tempted to respond to the "hamster, free to a good home" with, "okay, but can we eat him?" Rescuing rodents could be a good way to save on groceries...
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:32 pm

*is sad to say she thought that the other day about two pet bunnies for $10* No
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 am

Kelly wrote:*is sad to say she thought that the other day about two pet bunnies for $10* No

Even I'M not that bad! You're going to Hell for that I'm sure, LOL! Just kidding. I look on CL all the time and anything that says "pet" or "free to good home" I just look over because I couldn't ever feed someone's previous pet. Although my pet rats that have died naturally I did think about feeding them to Waverli.. Shocked
    Muse
    Muse

Post  Muse Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Heather wrote:
    Kelly wrote:*is sad to say she thought that the other day about two pet bunnies for $10* No

Even I'M not that bad! You're going to Hell for that I'm sure, LOL! Just kidding. I look on CL all the time and anything that says "pet" or "free to good home" I just look over because I couldn't ever feed someone's previous pet. Although my pet rats that have died naturally I did think about feeding them to Waverli.. Shocked

Many shelters and rescues don't want to "waste resources" on small animals and "euthanize" rats, mice, rabbits, and the like by snapping necks, then they all go in a shiny freezer until they do whatever it is that organization does (some are 'donated to science', others go to the incinerator, or if it's a really classy joint they go in the bin out back on garbage day! (I discovered all these weird and wonderful things during my time as a vet tech)

Regardless, it could be worth looking into if you can stomach it! The law doesn't "protect" these animals well, so it might even be legal to euth them that way.

Waste not, want not?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Actually, not a bad idea! If I ever get up the balls, I'll give a call.

Heather! I am going to hell. LOL It's okay, atleast it wasn't a hamster. Razz That just seems worse, IMO. Atleast rabbits are meat critters normally. :X
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Someone inquired about what I feed my own pets when I worked at a pet supply store so I told them "raw." Of course they asked WHAT I feed and being the honest person I am, I told them I do mostly whole prey with my cat. They ask what whole prey I feed so I tell them- rats, mice, GPs, rabbit. I thought they were interested? Six mos down the road the lady calls the other location HYSTERICAL that one of the employees (me) told her to feed her dog hamsters and gerbils and that she used to keep them as pets and she WILL NOT buy them from pet stores and kill them. I thought it was pretty hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. The other girls there had a good laugh about it (they didn't know I fed whole prey but I said "of course I don't feed hamsters and gerbils!") but I made them SWEAR not to tell the owner because she was already trying to fire me. I quit a couple weeks later because I couldn't compromise my morals and ethics in promoting kibble to people anymore. I even turned people away from the NV we sold and sent them to the rawfeeding list. LOL!

Sorry, but the hamster thing totally reminded me of this story! What a Face
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Hmmm, maybe raw-feeding does something to one's brain? I have fostered, rehomed and owned rats, mice and hamsters and yet, recently, I confess that the "hamsters for free to good home" craigslist add caught my interest for all the wrong reasons. *gasp*

*laugh*
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 am

*nods gravely* This is the one thing they don't warn you about... you turn rabid when you touch raw meat too much. Wink
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Yes.. I bit someone over a pork roast one time.. Twisted Evil
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Y'all got me laughing so loud, my own daughter is shushing me! Laughing
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:19 pm

I hear the loud "laughing" is a sign you are too far gone for professional help anymore, AC. Sad Do you do it while chopping meat? If so, I think you need to be quarantined.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:50 am