Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

RMB types

Siam
    Siam

RMB types Empty RMB types

Post  Siam Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:56 pm

My aunt and uncle's dog is fed pedigree. They are too cheap (CHEAP!!!!)to feed even a better kibble and too paranoid and lazy to do raw. BUT she has bad teeth. She is four and went to the vet, the vet said she is almost a "2" on their teeth scale which is not bad enough for extractions but means she'll need a dental next summer. Before the vet visit I mentioned raw bones to clean her teeth because her breath is deadly. uncle considered it but never really intended to do it, he and his wife are too fearful of bones and raw meat. I had given her a raw turkey neck before and she LOVED it but I almost made her female owner throw up (raw meat flips her out). Anyway at the vet visit the vet told them there is basically nothing they can do except attempt to brush and give her dental chews but all dogs need dentals and there is nothing they can do to prevent that.
    So I brought up the bones again and due to them not wanting to pay $400 for a dental I think they may be more open to the idea now and so I'm going to try and give her an RMB twice a week. I was wondering though, what RMBs should I use for a dog? I'm so used to cats I didn't think about what to get. I can't buy turkey necks by themselves, what can I get in the store that would be a god dental chew for an 18 pound dog (she's a Shih-Tzu but much bigger than average because she's from a bad breeder). Are any cat feed-able bones big enough for a dog? Any chicken bones like wings or drumsticks or would they be too small for her?
    Heather
    Heather

RMB types Empty Re: RMB types

Post  Heather Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 pm

I would go for as much bone as possible, to be honest, so chicken backs, turkey necks, beef ribs.

ETA: I would not give wings to a dog that size. I would go for what I listed. Backs will end up being cheapest.
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Thank you, that is a big help! I know they sell plain ribs, do grocery stores ever sell chicken backs? She had a turkey neck today (with uncle's permission) and she loved it, uncle winced every time he heard the bones crunch, I thought it sounded no different than when she eats kibble. He said "All I see is poison on a stick" but he trusts me, hopefully her teeth will improve at least a bit if I keep doing this a few times a week. She didn't finish the whole neck so I have more for later in the week.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm

You might be able to order a case of backs from a butcher or a supermarket. Ask around and see who can order and then compare prices.
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Have you ever heard of using pig's feet as chews to clean teeth?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:56 am

The bone is pretty hard and there are alot of small pieces in there that could post a choking hazard. I would go with chicken bones- easy to get and soft enough that everything on the bird is edible without doing damage to the teeth.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:30 pm

I would also suggest chicken. We gave our dogs thighs/legs (whole big piece) when we were still doing kibble but supplimenting raw, those were easy for them to chew and they had to work a little. I found leaving them frozen helps, too.

Chicken backs are small, cat sized. I'd say for a pup your sized they would be fine, even our 5lb chi eats legs/thighs herself.. so I bet those would be perfect.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am