Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+2
Kelly
Siam
6 posters

Introduction

Siam
    Siam

Introduction Empty Introduction

Post  Siam Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi everybody! My name is Erin, I am pretty new to raw but have done a good deal of reading about it and am trying to get my cats to eat it, but will surely need your help since they are difficult when it comes to changes in food.

Anyways, I have two cats, Siamese boys named Neko (my heart kitty and first ever kitty) and Willie. Neko is four and thus far eats no raw except what I can sneak into his wet food. Willie is 2 and eats some raw but thus far I can't get him to eat bones or organs, we are getting closer though, so he still eats commercial food too.

For the two of them I plan on getting Willie on 50% raw and 50% wet with no dry, maybe even all raw. Neko well, we'll see. Right now he's 50% wet and 50% dry (EVO or wellness CORE wet and California natural dry).

As far as personality they are both very sweet. Neko is a bit reserved but it's almost in a polite way. He waits until he asked and then will willingly walk up for rubs. He used to be very outgoing, until we got Willie. Now two years later he is just starting to outright ask for attention again instead of waiting for invitations. He has a very close bond with me and we are VERY good at reading each other, most people cannot read Neko at all and simply assume he hates people and therefore stays away from them which is just not true. People also tend to be wary of Siamese cats for some reason, they seem to have a bad reputation which is very odd considering their true temperament is one of the most affectionate of all breeds (I guess it's sort of like pit bulls, my favorite dog breed). Neko loves dogs since he lived with one for two years. he LOVES to play tag with me and he is a very good fetcher.

Willie is very outgoing with everyone. He loves all attention and will act out when he wants attention and is not getting any. He is bonded with everyone but hangs out with me the most. He likes to ride on people's shoulders and will jump from the ground into their arms to be carried around. He is a very comical momma's boy. Willie also likes to fetch but not as long as Neko.

I also own 3 hermit crabs named Titan (my favorite), Ophelia and Aphrodite. I have a Leopard Gecko named Tammy who is about 4 years old. In the past I've had a dog (Max, who is the reason I began researching pet training, nutrition etc., found forums and fell in love with animals, he died of cancer), many gerbils and a frog.

So that covers it for them. As for me, I love all animals and know a lot about dog training, animal behavior and finding a good animal breeder.

So here are the pictures!

Neko:
    Introduction Erindigi2398
    Introduction Erindigi2412

Willie:
    Introduction Erindigi2382
    Introduction Erindigi2368

Titan:
    Introduction Erindigi1779
    Introduction Erindigi2158

Aphrodite:
    Introduction Erindigi2430

Tammy:
    Introduction Erindigi2062
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Introduction Empty Re: Introduction

Post  Kelly Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Welcome! This feels familiar! Razz

Again, love those hermies. And what blue-eyed kitties! *swoon*
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 am

Thank you! (again)
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am

No problem! I really do love those eyes.. if only a black cat could have blue eyes! LOL
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Post  artsiekat Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Oh my goodness! Look at those gorgeous kitties! The eyes are just beautiful.

I had a siamese cat growing up, named Daisy, I loved that cat!

I think I'm going to have to come cat-nap Willie! *sneaks*
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 am

I have never seen more beautiful blue eyes on a cat!

And I think you will find that half raw is not good enough. They will want more and so will you. Wink
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks for the the compliments everyone! Artsiekat, Willie would be easy to cat-nap, as you broke through the window he's run over for bum scrubs and loving. I do hope they take to raw soon, Willie likes it, but he has been very hard to get to eat anything but muscle meat. BUT last night we had a break through he finally ATE BONE!!!!! YAY!!! I was sooooo close to giving up on raw, I didn't want to hurt him and I couldn't feed raw if he wouldn't eat bone. If he keeps this up we'll be all set!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am

Congrats! Just know, he may snub bone next time, but keep trying! I've heard people had good success with chicken necks that have been hit with a mallet to break the bone up and cut into tiny pieces.. maybe that's worth a try?
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Post  artsiekat Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 am

Congrats! I found Othello ate a cut up chicken neck before he would touch a chicken wing, but he's still sometimes a little touch and go on the bones.
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Hiya, Erin! Just wanted to pop in and tell you again how much I love your furry little friends. Siamese cats have always been a favorite of mine; for their beauty, their intelligence, their affection and their wonderful vocalizations. A very long time ago, I fostered a young Siamese and he had the most beautiful spirit.

And just to remind everyone how small our world really is - Siam and I just recently found out we both live in Central Massachusetts, well within visiting distance. Very Happy
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Oh, I've always loved Siamese cats, that Disney song we are Siamese always gets into my head when I see one. My cousin had one named Sheba when I was little, and that cat was the biggest snob I ever met, so of course I did everything in my power to make it like me. That meant rubbing myself in catnip whenever I went over to visit, but hey, I didn't mind, and my cousin never figured it out!
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Timothea wrote:... so of course I did everything in my power to make it like me. That meant rubbing myself in catnip whenever I went over to visit, but hey, I didn't mind, and my cousin never figured it out!

Oh-my-gosh, that's hysterical! Are you serious? Now I know what to do whenever I visit my family members with cats - it'll drive them crazy seeing they're (usually standofish) cats all over me!! Laughing
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 pm

works better than sardines. (puke)
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks guys! I will never be without a Siamese, I will probably go the shelter/rescue route for my next ones though. They are quite different form most cats I have met, they really want to be with you, they lack independence where as most cats are known as being independent. I like that they are always up for pats (Willie) and allow me to play very physically with them (Neko does, Willie gets a bit flustered so it does not work so well, but for Neko physical play like tag and just pushing him over, dragging him backwards, holding him upside down for a second are the only types of play he enjoys, and he gives as good as he gets, very odd cat). I never have to look around the house to find them, they are always in the same room as me unless they are asleep in the living room. mine are not as vocal as I'd like, willie talks a fair amount, but it's mostly attention begging, not just talking to talk. Neko does not talk too much, I wish they did though, I love having a "conversation" with them, back and forth.

They have gotten a bit of a bad reputation as a breed, it's a real shame since their true temperament is wonderful, they are one of the most social breeds but for some reason people think they are aggressive and are amazed to see my two. I don't know is the Disney movie gave them the bad reputation, it could be that many poor tempered individuals were born because of over breeding by BYBs, not good breeders who selected proper temperaments.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:55 am