Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

on a mission

Siam
    Siam

on a mission Empty on a mission

Post  Siam Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am

I asked my Papa, a retired butcher, to see if he could help me get some kidney (or some organ other than Liver) and today we are headed out to find it, he does not give up so i will certainly be bringing home some kidney. I'm SOOOOOOOO happy because this means I will finally be able to feed a complete raw diet if my parents allow it (or don't know about it). I have not been able to find anything ANYWHERE except liver, liver and more liver. Wish em luck!

Anything else you guys think I should try and get for the kitties while I'm looking? Any really good odd things to try and get?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

on a mission Empty Re: on a mission

Post  Kelly Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 pm

YAAAAAAY! How'd it go?

I'd also look for lung (everyone here LOVES that), that's the only "other" organ (besides kidney) I have been able to get reliably (plus, lung is cool to touch! feels like a damp marshmellow peep).
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:16 pm

We ended up finding kidneys at Market basket. They are huge and so for just Willie they will last for a very long time so i just bought two. Thus far he does not like it, he does not like liver either but I sneak it into his meat and am always able to get him some without him flinging it out of his mouth.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Have you thought about grinding (or just chopping very finely) the liver/kidney into a mash, and perhaps mixing it with ground beef or somesuch? We have some of that in the freezer for days the kids are feeling picky.

It took Zaq (15y/o) months before he would eat liver whole, I found to get him to eat it at first I had to leave it half frozen.
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Maybe mixing it in with ground beef would work better, it's harder for him to pick it out that way, I'll try that tonight I think!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri May 01, 2009 11:02 am

Yup, cut it up reeeally tiny, and every few weeks up the size of the chunks of organ until he's eating nice sized pieces. Cats are a pain sometimes. Wink
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Sun May 03, 2009 6:54 am

well he wouldn't touch the burger, he must have known the live was in their, I suppose he could smell it. I'll just continue trying to trick him into eating it when he's not paying attention as he chews his meat, I just throw it on where he's chewing and he usually at least gets it in his mouth, he just spits it out most of the time.
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 pm

My cats didn't like kidney to begin with, and one still doesn't. I have to sprinkle dry chicken treats on the kidney to get her to eat it. I sprinkle, she takes a bite, I sprinkle, she takes a bite.... ad nauseum.

I exaggerate, but not by much. *grin*
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Yeah, I don't think he'll ever like the organs but he'll eat them. He likes the kidney better than the liver, he at least swallows it most of the time and doesn't try to fling it. I am able to trick him into eating both though so he is getting all he needs.
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Siam wrote:...I am able to trick him into eating both though so he is getting all he needs.

And that's all that really matters! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:35 am