Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+2
Timothea
Heather
6 posters

Leftover fish "stuff"

Heather
    Heather

Leftover fish "stuff" Empty Leftover fish "stuff"

Post  Heather Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:46 pm

Cliff went on a men's fishing trip last weekend and me, thinking always of the kids when meat is involved, asked him to bring home everything the guys didn't use. I was expecting guts and heads and that's essentially what I got. I picked thru it, some of the smaller fish not worth filleting were tossed in the pile so I gutted them and removed the organs from the other fish bodies (minus the fillets). They will be boney yes but there's still meat on them. I got a large catfish carcass too with alot of meat still on it so I sectioned it and bagged it for 2-3 meals. Alot of the carcasses I didn't use and the catfish head I passed on as well. All in all I probably got 15 meals between Amos, Waverli and Emily. Not bad. Emily wouldn't go near the stuff, Amos humored me by eating a small bit of catfish meat and Waverli only tolerated it for so long before she said "no more!" I don't know if this is going to be worth it but I figure I can always find another raw feeder to give it to with a less picky dog. Anyone ever fed fish leftovers with success?
    Timothea
    Timothea

Leftover fish "stuff" Empty Re: Leftover fish "stuff"

Post  Timothea Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm

When I give Charlotte fish, if I thaw it first, she never eats the heads or the fins, just the meaty middle. If it's frozen, the tail and fins and head get eaten just because they're in the way. I don't know if it's a preference thing when thawed, or if those bits are just too hard to eat, but I end up cutting them off to bury under the roses!
    steviesun

Post  steviesun Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:23 pm

For a few months last year we had a mobile fish monger through my village once a week. She used to give me some of the "waste" for the dog (she thought it novel I was asking for my dog rather than a cat). It was mostly fish that had been gutted and filleted, but also the odd whole one that hadn't sold. I couldn't feed it more than once a week before Saxen decided that it was yucky. But he does enjoy mackerel heads, just not too often. Oh and I do have to freeze fish before he'll eat it.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Amos actually loves all types of fish I've tried him on. Buffalo and walleye fillets, whole sardines, mackeral, anchovy, tilapia and rainbow trout but this fish was altogether and has gut smell on it I'm sure. Not to mention it sat around in the bag until all the fish were done and then probably for a few hours more until my stepdad got it home and in the fridge. Hoping the freezing renders it's smell undetectable.

Last edited by Heather on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

I've fed whole mackerel and sardines to Bea - she likes them frozen, right out of the freezer. Licks them all over and then starts at the tail and crunches them up.

The little manny is funny about the size and texture of his food. He will eat slices of whole mackerel (sardine has been too spendy) frozen, from the heads through the tails, about 1 1/2 to 2" thick. Occasionally, he will let a slice thaw, then eat it.

But, he does that with all his meats.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 am

Our cats looove whole fish. Start at the head and eat out the guts, leave the rest. LOL They'd be so happy with your score!
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Waverli ONLY eats her anchovies tail first. Mice are always head first and rats are started in the middle and eaten towards the head, then the tail is saved for last. LOL!
    yassy
    yassy

Post  yassy Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm

As you already know,Palette is seafood lover and eats fish with delightful eyes.She has one quirky habit.

It happens only sardine. She loves sardine,she eats head guts tail everything.BUT,she sometimes stare at me as if she needs help.I have lended hand before by cutting the sardine into 2 pieces and realized that every time she does this weird stare at me,always the fish has roe(fish egg) in it.So,I wash it off and she eats it right up as if nothing was problem.

With catfish,she does not eat it.She loves to roll on it.No catfish in her menu.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 am