Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

Raw and bloat?

RoughCollies
    RoughCollies

Raw and bloat? Empty Raw and bloat?

Post  RoughCollies Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:55 pm

On Saturday morning, I lost my boy Mason to GDV. He was only a baby. He was terribly bred and a rescue. My vet believes it was likely genetic. Collies are not usually prone to bloat except for in certain lines. It's also very uncommon for a puppy to bloat. We thought we had done everything we could to protect him from this. We're not dog stupid people. We know dogs. We know how to prevent bloat. We didn't know about getting a gasatropexy done on him but you can believe ALL of our future dogs will have it done while being desexed.

From my research, there is a lot of debate as to whether a raw diet is a good way to prevent bloat or not. I'd really like some input if you don't mind. I've talked about switching completely for years now. But, meat in my area is expensive and it's not been something we've been able to do. I still have three dogs that could use every bit of protection possible. It won't bring my boy back but if it saves my girls, then it's all worth it.

I miss my boy like crazy. He was my constant companion and never left my side. He wanted nothing more than everyone in the world to love on him and to have 100% of my attention and I generally gave it to him. He was a great dog and is already terribly missed.

Mason
    8/1/2008 - 11/28/2009
    Raw and bloat? Thanksgivingandsadgoodbyes081
    Timothea
    Timothea

Raw and bloat? Empty Re: Raw and bloat?

Post  Timothea Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Oh, so sad, I've been away for a while and really hate coming on to hear this kind of news. No
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh, I am sorry. Sad

Late but better than never.. I have heard a LOT of stuff that raw can prevent bloat. Nothing I can pull up right now, but it does make sense what I have read...

Since kibble is dry, and expands when moistened, etc. Whereas raw is used as is, doesn't go thru any unnatural processes to digest.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:23 pm