Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

4 posters

Same as cats?

Siam
    Siam

Same as cats? Empty Same as cats?

Post  Siam Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I was wondering if you feed your dog the same proportions you feed your cats? As in 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ (approximately). And what is your opinion of adding some veggies or fruits? Personally I would not do it with veggies or fruits because dogs IMO thrive as complete carnivores. On the other hand you hear people say that they are not carnivores but are omnivores and should have some "other" stuff (and others who disagree that they are even omnivores). What is your take or what do you do?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Same as cats? Empty Re: Same as cats?

Post  Kelly Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 pm

We feed Betty the same as the cats. Carnivores are carnivores! What works for one, will work for the other.

I think Heather has some good solid info on the fact that dogs ARE carnivores, not omnivores.

Veggies/fruit can be a nice treat, but they really have no place in a carnivores diet for any specific reason. I think (again Heather!) I read someone say something to the effect of, when someone tells you their dog LIKES veggies/fruit so it HAS to be part of their diet, I use the "My dog likes cat poop, so does that mean THAT has to be part of their diet?". I love that.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 pm

My dog likes plastic water bottles, I don't feed her those!

The nature inspired, species appropriate, prey model style for me please!

Not that I will rain on the parade of someone feeding the vomit diet, or even grain free kibble+raw, if it's the best that they can do.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Here ya go!
    Dogs are carnivores

And yes, that's me with the cat poop analogy. Just because a dog eats something doesn't mean they need it. Amos does forage (and by that I mean he strips my plants!) berries in the summer and I don't mind. He delicately picks the raspberries off the prickly stems which just fascinates me but he eats the entire crop of ripe ones if I don't stop him. He does get the ground berries though and eats mulberries when I pick them for about a week during the year. These are things a wolf would naturally find in the wild- it's not me feeding him stuff everyday. He eats it if he wants it and doesn't if he doesn't. I let him exercise his opportunistic nature. He also likes cherry tomatoes that I try not to let him get too many of due to the acid. This is only during our garden season though when he goes with me when I pick.

There have been scientific studies showing that the grey wolf IS the direct ancestor of the domestic dog and there are studies (and common sense plays in here too) that show wolves ARE carnivores. The only reason people cling to the statement that dogs are omnivores is because somehow it benefits them financially. Vets, dog food companies, "diet consultants", supplement companies.. they all want you to believe that your dog needs this very special vegetable powder supplement or kibble with "FRESH WHOLE FRUITS" in it and so on. Think about it. What money is there in meat, bones and organ? If that's what these people recommended and tried to sell then the average person would say "I can go get that in the grocery store for cheaper" and they'd all be out of business.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:42 pm