Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+4
Kelly
Siam
artsiekat
Valkyrie
8 posters

Hi there!

Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Hi there! Empty Hi there!

Post  Valkyrie Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I live with my boyfriend Justin and our 3 snakes, 1 gecko, 3 betta fish, and dog Izzy!

Technically with the exception of the fish all the animals eat raw but Izzy is the one we're here for. We'll be transitioning her to a full raw diet in the next month and I'd love help with that Smile

Here's Izzy!

Hi there! DSC04592

Hi there! DSC04587

Hi there! DSC04604
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Hi there! Empty Re: Hi there!

Post  artsiekat Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi! Welcome! Izzy is adorable. Smile

I hope you and Izzy enjoy your raw diet journey.
    Siam
    Siam

Post  Siam Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Welcome Valkyrie! Izzy is adorable, looks a lot like my uncle's old dog Jessie. How old is she? How is she taking to raw meat so far? I suppose dogs are a lot easier than cats when it comes to raw transitioning. I'm glad you've decided to be a raw feeder and give your dog the best diet you possibly can!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Welcome! Izzy is a heartbreaker! Very Happy

Goodluck with the transition, dogs are SO MUCH EASIER than cats! LOL All you do is give them meat, they eat it.. with cats, you have to sneak it into food and disguise it with other smells. Lil goofs.
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post  Valkyrie Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Izzy is a rescue dog who's breed is anyone's best guess. She's just over 4 months old and loves everyone.

So far she's been getting two small raw meals and one dry while we work out the specifics of her new diet and try to finish up her last bag (EVER!) of dry dog food Smile She's been taking it well, no vomiting and minimal soft stoolage which is great! We'll be getting her some live culture yogurt to mix in to her kibble before we make the full transition.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 pm

*sneaks off with Izzy*

Always nice when the transition does not involve liqui-poo! A member, Quinchilla, has two chi's and they are having issues with the runnypoops during their transition.
    Quinnchilla
    Quinnchilla

Post  Quinnchilla Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Actually its just Schroeder (the boy we just adopted) having issues, Phoebe switched like a charm, but nothing seems to sit in his stomach, he vomits it up and then proceeds to have the runs a couple hours later. He had like a BITE miniscule of chicken and vomited multiple times for a good few hours. Gross!!

Anyway in lighter news, Izzy is gorgeous! Thats great that your having such a easy time with her. With Phoebe I just went cold turkey and started her on chicken breast and wings and she took to it immediately and had no issues, I was so happy. You must be thrilled. What meats have you given her so far?
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 pm

I can teach you how to feed your Betta raw!!! I've been doing a lot of research on it as I'll be adding another one to my home soon (I lost my boy Ferguson in August, right before I lost my Greyhound, Wally). And oddly enough you can get frozen stuff at some of the bigger pet stores (even though you can't get it for dogs, ah well)!!
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm

Welcome, Valkyrie! Izzy's a cutie! Glad you found us!
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Valkyrie wrote: We'll be getting her some live culture yogurt to mix in to her kibble before we make the full transition.

Actually, dairy can make things worse ie looser stools. Since a dog's stomach acid is so strong, it kills off any "good bacteria" from probiotic pills, yogurt, keffir, etc. It's really a waste of money to buy that stuff and it's species inappropriate food. Dairy also contributes to sludge on the teeth and can cause oral problems we are all trying to prevent in the first place by feeding raw.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:23 am