Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

Wunderba!

Puppydog
    Puppydog

Wunderba! Empty Wunderba!

Post  Puppydog Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks so much for this. I am planning on getting started as soon as we move into our house and I can get a chest freezer!
    Siam
    Siam

Wunderba! Empty Re: Wunderba!

Post  Siam Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:39 am

Hey puppydog, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you are interested in feeding raw to your crew. Why don't you tell us a little bit about your pets? I hope we can all help you out when you start raw feeding, your dogs will thank you for it!
    Puppydog
    Puppydog

Post  Puppydog Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 am

Hey there. Thanks for the welcome.
    I have two dogs, Ben and Lilly. Ben is a Papillion, two years old. High energy.
    Lilly is my 7 year old mixed breed Pom x everything. LOL! She has some trouble keeping her wieght down and has luxating patella, so we really work to keep her at around 8lbs.
    Both are fed raw chicken breast bones and meat twice a week. It is a case of having space issues and the fact that they often eat at my mothers house. She would not cope with having them eat raw.

Once we are in our own place it will be easier to get them onto raw at night every night. They will continue to have their kibble at my mother in the mornings, it is simply a time issue.

I am nervous about ensuring I do it correctly and that they get all the correct nutrition. I worry about leaving things out. Both are very happy to dive into any raw meat I offer. It is, however, an issue getting Lilly to eat eggs or drink any milk.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Welcome! Glad to see you here.

Many people do a kibble/raw combo and find it works well. IMO, some raw is better than none! Very Happy

She may not want the milk because they don't need it and it often causes stomach upset. Sad Also, as far as I know, eggs are not necessary either, so she's not losing out on anything. Very Happy
    artsiekat
    artsiekat

Post  artsiekat Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 am

Hi! Welcome to the board. Smile
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:03 pm

I hear you about the mother thing, I get the: "what? I can't give her the leftover t-bone from my steak, but you want the uncooked neck from my turkey along with the guts?" My mother was heartbroken from that one, but started cutting the bones off her meat before she cooked them to save for my dog!

She's come around now, because I've been doing it since my pup was brought home, and no one's choked on a chicken bone yet!
    Puppydog
    Puppydog

Post  Puppydog Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:14 am

Thanks guys. I just need to work out ratios etc. I know that they already cope well with chicken. How much do you need to feed for the evening meal?

My stupid "fiance" told me that he was confused on Saturday and I broke it off with him, so now I can use my own freezer for the dog food! Very Happy
    My guys are tiny but such high energy that I need to know I am doing it correctly before I end up hurting them.

Help!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Sorry about the SO, but YAY MORE FREEZER SPACE!

For the evening meal, I guess it's up to you, really. If youd rather feed them a big breakfast and small dinner/snack, then do so. Or vice versa.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm