Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+3
Puppydog
Siam
Timothea
7 posters

Would you feed raw to someone else's dog?

Timothea
    Timothea

Would you feed raw to someone else's dog? Empty Would you feed raw to someone else's dog?

Post  Timothea Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 pm

I sometimes send Charlotte over to my brother's house, and he sometimes sends his dog over to mine. Charlotte eats raw, Tanner eats Royal Canin. When Charlotte is at Tanner's house, she eats all his food, even though she's already eaten, I think it's a food guarding thing, rather than a "I like the kibble" thing, but when Tanner comes over, he comes with a bag of kibble, and I like to keep Charlotte away while he eats it.

I HAVE given him a chicken quarter (he didn't know what to do with it), and raw eggs (Charlotte stole most of it, but now he gets those at home too), but I am having him come over this weekend, and wondered if I should dare feed him more. I just want to make sure that he gets the most out of his visit, and if cleaning his teeth is all I can do, then at least I can do that.

He's not my dog, but it's my house, my rules. My brother allows the dogs on the furniture, I don't. My brother treat trains, I don't. My brother feeds kibble, I don't. He hasn't quite wrapped his head around the raw thing. He thinks that I am buying pre made raw, and was shocked when he saw me give Charlotte a piece of meat.

My question is, do I let the dog have a nice meal here, only to have my brother suffer the consequences the next day with maybe some runny poop? Or do I just feed the kibble and let the dog drool at the nice beef ribs Charlotte is eating? I have fed them completely separately till now, just to keep them happy, but would love to see them eating together.
    Siam
    Siam

Would you feed raw to someone else's dog? Empty Re: Would you feed raw to someone else's dog?

Post  Siam Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I once gave my aunt's dog a turkey neck while she was here but I don't think I'd do it again. She loved it and was fine but if something did happen, even runny poop, raw would be blamed and be seen as dangerous by them, I'd rather convince them to fed it than feed it while they are away.

You could always ask, but it's just one of those things, just like I would not want someone training my dog while I was away...especially if they trained without treats Wink
    Puppydog
    Puppydog

Would you feed raw to someone else's dog? Empty Re: Would you feed raw to someone else's dog?

Post  Puppydog Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 am

I wouldn't. Think about how you would feel if your brother fed Charlotte kibble? I know she eats it when she is there but if you had to leave her there for a while and came back to find she had been eating just that for a week or more?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:45 am

*hangs head in shame* Yes.

I sneak things to my neighbours dog (who is my aunt) all the time. She knows. Razz
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Ugghh! Never happened anyway, I have spent the whole night up moving my brother's things. Haven't slept since Wednesday night. I am so tired I can barely type, I had to work today, and kept almost falling asleep. I am making so many typing mistakes here that it will be a short post.

By the way, my brother does let Charlotte eat a lot of junk when she is at his house. Biscuits, rawhide, dentastix, kibble. She always has a messy messy poo, but doesn't wait to come home to do it. Twice she did it in his house, because she doesn't know how to ask to get outside. I consider it payback. She never does it in my house!

My brother emptied out his freezer, some of it was freezer burnt, so I scored for Charlotte there too! But I am so tired, that I can't keep this up, so if I don't answer back again for a while, I'm just sleeping.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:40 am

Absolutely not. Most people probably wouldn't care but it's a consent thing. I don't want people feeding my dog kibble and especially when he has such terrible allergies to everything species inappropriate under the sun (grains, soy, potato..) so I respect what they feed their dog(s) and wouldn't go against it even though I know raw is better. I even have one side of Amos's ID tag engraved with "Please don't feed me, I have allergies" so if he ever gets lost and is found, then hopefully the person doesn't feed him anything while I'm on my way to get him.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow, don't I seem like a twit! I really DONT feed others dogs without permission... honest! LOL
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 am

As much as I would love to switch every single dog to raw who comes into my home, I would never do it unless the owner knew. I wouldn't want them to do the same with my dog and Pedigree so I'm not going to break that trust.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 am

So, I guess, if someone else's kid came over, and I knew that they had peanut allergies, or were vegetarian, I would avoid feeding anyone those things, just to keep them safe, or not to gross them out, but if they only ate pizza pockets, I think I might still feed them a real meal, my house my rules. Same goes for my son, if he goes to a vegetarian's house, he won't have any meat, and if he goes to the pizza pocket kid's house, he better be prepared to eat pizza pockets, or go hungry.

Now, I'm not saying that if I were dog sitting, and going to someone's home to check on their dog for them, that I would feed raw. I'd feed whatever they told me to feed. But next time my brother's dog is over, he's getting a raw meaty bone.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:00 am

Okay, on Tuesday last week, my brother had a seizure and went into the hospital. He will be there for a while still, and I have had his dog since then. So the irony is that I have been able to put this question to the test.

The real answer is yes, but not on purpose. My brother's dog keeps eating Charlotte's raw food and ignoring his kibble, even though I separate them, he won't eat his kibble but will come steal the bone she's been chewing on, and had taken a chicken she was eating and ate a good half of it before I realized what was going on. The worst part of it is that Charlotte is eating his kibble, on top of her raw. Haven't had any upset tummies yet, but am expecting to.

I now have to crate them for a few hours with their food, and find that a once a day feeding is all I can handle. At least my brother's dog can stand to lose some weight, and Charlotte could gain some, so I'm looking at it as positively as I can.

Mind you, if my brother isn't able to take his dog back, he'll be the easiest switch to raw ever!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 pm

*good healing thoughts for the brother*

I betcha his doggy is happy to have the access to the meat, though! Mmmm, stolen meat.
    steviesun

Post  steviesun Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:48 am

I hope your brother's okay.

I looked at this thread because I am currently looking after my friend/neighbour's dog whilst she's on holiday and the original pet sitter/friend is in and out of hospital for a few days. Her dog is getting on now and I know she's been struggling with getting stuff to not go straight through him. He's been on chappie (bland tinned stuff) with rice and cooked fish, although I'm convinced that raw would help settle him. Only problem is that his mum doesn't eat meat and doesn't like handling it. So since she knows how my dog is fed I asked if she'd be okay with me feeding her dog the odd bit of chicken. And she said yes, but warned me to stick to chicken in case anything else disagreed with him.

If I hadn't been able to ask I wouldn't have fed anything but that which he's used to. As it is I'm defrosting him some chicken to have with his dinner since he left half his breakfast watching my dog chomp through a kg of ox heart.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks Steviesun, yes, my brother's fine now. I was prepared to take his dog, and the week that I had him things went really well. I also have to say that Tanner now gets a RMB twice a week, so the raw preaching thing is working here on my end.

My sister was vegetarian for more than fifteen years, and because she was also anorexic, when she was going through treatment, she wasn't given any opportunity to remain vegetarian. She found it most helpful to only eat things that didn't look like parts of animals, so no whole chickens, only parts, and the more boneless and skinless the better. Anything not frozen before it went in the oven could NOT be touched unless it was first covered in parsley flakes. Weird, I know, but it made it more palatable for her brain to get over it without an anxiety attack.

I mention this because my dog eats the majority of her meals frozen, mainly because I forget to thaw them out long enough before it's time to eat them. Liver, kidney and the like are kind of gross when thawed, so suggest she feed them frozen. Also, some meats have a smell to them that will turn off your friend, so frozen they won't bother her, and the dog will still be attracted to it.

Chicken is rather benign as far as meat goes, it's bland smelling, tasting and looking, being rather a beige meat, so I would try starting with that. Make sure you rinse the pieces well, so there's no blood. You can work up to bloody beef, but that WILL take time, and maybe some Valium (a page from my sister's book) or wine.
    steviesun

Post  steviesun Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:07 am

Timothea wrote:
    Chicken is rather benign as far as meat goes, it's bland smelling, tasting and looking, being rather a beige meat, so I would try starting with that. Make sure you rinse the pieces well, so there's no blood. You can work up to bloody beef, but that WILL take time, and maybe some Valium (a page from my sister's book) or wine.

Glad your brother's okay.

Yes I would generally recommend starting with nice simple chicken too. He seems to really be enjoying his holiday food, and (as expected) seems to not be having the tum problems he's been having normally. When his 'mum' gets back I'll suggest to her again that she consider trying him on raw for his tum. If nothing else it'll save her cooking for him every few days. And I know she doesn't have much freezer space, but I'd happily let her use some of my mine. She only lives about 100m away from me. Hopefully the improvement in his digestive system will be enough to convince her, but just in case I'll remember what you've said and let her know.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:29 pm