Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+2
Heather
Kelly
6 posters

Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible?

Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Empty Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible?

Post  Kelly Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 pm

We give the dog Bully sticks on occasion, but there's yet to be anything I can find that I am happy with for the cats! We have freeze dried liver for the dog too, I know the cats steal that.. I suppose that could be a treat for the as well, but was hoping there'd be something cool for cats.
    Heather
    Heather

Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Empty Re: Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible?

Post  Heather Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:48 pm

The the occasions I do feed treats to Waverli I give her dehydrated venison I did at home.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Empty Re: Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible?

Post  Timothea Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 pm

catnip.

That's my first pick, then ground dried liver, or sardines or tuna. You need a dehydrator for this, if you want to take it with you. Your cats don't NEED treats, but it's fun to spoil them, so I really love the catnip the best.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:27 am

Guess we'll stick to the dehydrated stuff and catnip (which, sadly, they don't get often! wonder if I should just grow my own)...
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Whole Life pet treats have no ingredients except the meat, which is freeze-dried. I often sprinkle this on foods the cats are reluctant to eat; works every time.

It comes in five different flavors and is expensive ($17 for 4 oz), but it lasts a long time and is worth the cost.
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Kelly wrote:We give the dog Bully sticks on occasion, but there's yet to be anything I can find that I am happy with for the cats! We have freeze dried liver for the dog too, I know the cats steal that.. I suppose that could be a treat for the as well, but was hoping there'd be something cool for cats.

Are you tied to something dried/dehydrated?

I give The Punkyman (10 lb mini Doxie)Bully Sticks too, but also chicken feet. Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Chicken01
    He mostly likes them frozen, but often will let them thaw before crunching them down. I'd think that a cat would be able to manage them. Just cut back on the bone in meals. They are mostly skin and cartilage.

pig Hmm, what about pig ears? Again, I offer them frozen, and both my dogs love them either way. Punky used to get them thawed and cut into long strips, about 2" wide by however long the section of ear was when I first adopted him. They have lots of skin, a bit of fat and lots of cartilage. The strips should make a nice chewy for a cat, too. Again, I'd cut back on the bone in meals when I planned to feed them.

There's bonito flakes. Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Fish The Punkster loves them. Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Dog
    Not a chewy, they are fragile and flaky, but my mom's ancient Siamese loved them, too. Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Catsiam2lv

How about dried fish? I buy the Snack 21 brand of Salmon skin rolls for Punky, but also get their Whiting, Herring and Salmon treats. They have no additives, just fish flesh and skin. Each piece is about 4" long by 1/2" wide and can be easily broken into bits if you want.

http://www.snack21treats.com/

http://www.catmandoo.biz/
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:54 pm

I really need to go get some chicken feet at the local asian store soon.. I am interested to try those. They had dehydrated ones, and loved them, so I imagine raw would go over well.

We tried a salmon roll, and OMG DID IT STINK! The SO says "No more fish rolls!". Razz
    Giselle
    Giselle

Post  Giselle Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Kelly wrote:I really need to go get some chicken feet at the local asian store soon.. I am interested to try those. They had dehydrated ones, and loved them, so I imagine raw would go over well.

We tried a salmon roll, and OMG DID IT STINK! The SO says "No more fish rolls!". Razz

Yes, you should! Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Cat-treat

Gotta watch where you get the Salmon Rolls. Most of the ones I get are fine (I order by the box), but the last order but one was strong smelling. The dogs liked it fine, NP with eating or digestion, but I do think that the oil was going 'off'.
    Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? Sharkattack
    Salmon oil, and all fish oils, can be fragile. If you get Salmon oil without vite E or soy or rosemary et al as a preservative, as I do, you want to keep it refrigerated.
    As a matter of fact, I keep most of my large bottle in the freezer, and decant a bit into a squeeze bottle that I keep in the fridge door, to squeeze onto a meal or in a pan.
    My Little Man gets a Salmon Roll or Bully Stick every night on my bed (on a towel) to keep him occupied and tired out. He's new to me, and to my Big Girl, and is used to sleeping with other Doxies. If I didn't baby gate him into my room and give him something to busy himself with, he'd wake up in the middle of the night, and bark or whine/yodel at me or the Big Girl to amuse him!Anyone have a good cat treat that is as close to raw as possible? 00001823
    garybedwell

Post  garybedwell Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 am

Don't fancy the mess of feeding a raw treat, then try out freeze dried meat cat treats. Although it is possible to do your own freeze drying at home it is not easy and you might not do the job as safely as a big factory can. Before you buy freeze dried cat treats check out the ingredients because anything other than meat is not healthy for your cat.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:17 am