Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

Meet the new girl!

Heather
    Heather

Meet the new girl! Empty Meet the new girl!

Post  Heather Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Meet the new girl! Babybeagle
    Meet the new girl! Babybeagle2

She is an 8-10 week old lemon beagle puppy I just adopted from the Central MO Humane Society. I've been looking at dogs for about 6 mos and after being denied once by a rescue due to politics, and at the local AC for being "over the limit" I just about gave up. I'd called about several dogs in all different shelters and before I went to meet them they got adopted. Or I would meet the dog or talk to it's foster mom and the more time passed, the less I felt connected with the dog. Monday I seen this girl on petfinder and immediately fell in love. It wasn't just a "aww cute puppy! I want it!" type love, it was fireworks, streamers, banners screaming "that's the one!" at my heart. Amos seems like he doesn't really care about her but at the shelter there were barking dogs, thousands of smells, lots of people and unfamiliar objects. He peed on just about everything. The puppy on the other hand, grabbed his leash and tried to walk him around. LOL! She is very friendly but not over the top and in-your-face.

All in all I think she will blend quite well here. Oh and a side note, they gave me a bag of SD even when I told them I don't feed that food she insisted I needed it to transition her. Um, no. I dropped by the pet store on the way home and gave it to them to donate to our local shelter. I had to fill out a form too so SD could send me more free food for her (your bribes are useless!) and I'll be donating that as well. I think she will take to raw very quickly.

I also have not named her yet so any uncommon names (my mom insists I name her Chloe..) that you think would fit her please post them! I want a good strong name for her but still feminine and not real common.
    Siam
    Siam

Meet the new girl! Empty Re: Meet the new girl!

Post  Siam Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm

She's beautiful! I can't wait to see what she'll look like when she grows up and hearing about how she takes to raw. I'm glad you didn't give up on the shelter route, it's a shame how picky they can be, I know shelters who will turn you down for having an intact pet (even though the dog they are giving you is fixed) and for tethering your dogs outside for a little time each day. I'm glad you finally got your girl! Keep the pictures coming as she grows, it'll be great to see a dog raised on raw from puppyhood, and good for you for donating that food and not just tossing it, at least someone will benefit from it, better SD than no food at the shelter!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 am

*faints*

I adore Beagles! My heart breed, since we grew up with them and until now I've always had one or a mix around. Sad I miss my girl.

Let us know when she gets home and how the transition/subsequent months go for her! It's always lovely to see a baby grow on raw instead of kibble. My moms GSD -never- went through that lanky, ugly period b/c she was fed raw.
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Oh, a lemon with a dark nose!!! Beautiful!! Gonna have to check out the baby names websites, the only one coming to mind right now is Maia, which I think is pretty.
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 pm

What a cutie!!!! And yeah, isn't it amazing how hard it can sometimes be to get a dog? I don't look forward to when I decide to get another rescue Grey since my dogs are intact, I breed, AND I refuse to introduce my dogs right away. *sigh*

Venus? Diana? Gaia? Penelope?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 pm

I decided to name her Brie.

Brought her home today and she is fitting in well. Amos growled at her once when he was drinking and she stuck her nose in his face so for awhile I sat by the water bowl and fed him treats when she came near, and even lured both of them closer to the water and both were fine. She stalked him outside afterwards and he got a serious bout of the zoomies but she got scared as he was running around, dodging her and barking that she ran to me. LOL. She also tried to get him to play in he house but he wasn't even paying attention. She's doing well with housetraining so far. Pooped twice outside and peed once. Tomorrow she goes for her exam and fecal test. Brie is pretty calm for a puppy and she is VERY observant. She likes to sit back and watch us walking around, or what Amos is doing or anything else. She doesn't even need her crate to calm down- she's currently sleeping on Amos's bed Lips Sealed but he is on another that's just as comfy so don't feel too bad for him. Wink I've not heard her bark yet but she did a little whining in the car on the way home but then went right to sleep. Hates her collar tags so I'm going to put those on another day after she gets used to just the collar. She was running around doing the "oh my God they're CHASING ME! Help!!" thing when I took her outside the first time and she discovered her collar had them attatched. She chewed on a bully stick in her crate and when she was done I let her out (she was quiet) and she laid down. She's getting the concept of "sit" and is an extremely fast learner. Anyway, here's some pics.

Meet the new girl! 031309
    Playing with her pink "BoBo"

Meet the new girl! 0313092
    Pondering something over by the door

Meet the new girl! Gettingsleepy313
    Settling down

Meet the new girl! Firstdaysleepy
    Tuckered out`

Meet the new girl! Sleeping3131
    Now she's comfortable! ;D
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:46 am

Brie is very sweet, love those pink puppy paws.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Brie has had no stomach upset at all going straight from SD to raw. She's eating chicken now but will probably be ready for a new meat soon. She loves raw and I don't foresee any issues getting her to eat variety in the future.

ETA: Pics

Meet the new girl! 2009_03140002
    Eating a bully stick

Meet the new girl! 2009_03140003
    On my foot. Mmm.. foot flavored bully stick.. Very Happy
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Heather, she is so pretty! Love the sock-flavoured bully stick. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 am