Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

Best fish oil

nbloch64
    nbloch64

Best fish oil Empty Best fish oil

Post  nbloch64 Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

What is the best fish oil supplement to give the dogs? I was hoping to start them on fish soon, but I don't want to introduce anything too quickly. Should I go to vitamin cottage and pick a human grade fish oil (I have read that this is less expensive due to it not being specifically labeled for canines). If I use a human grade, should I follow the same dosage guidelines they recommend based on weight and should it be given daily? I personally take a fish oil supplement and I take 3 capsules a day.
    Heather
    Heather

Best fish oil Empty Re: Best fish oil

Post  Heather Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I would get a fish oil that does not contain soy and is sold for people. I gave one capsule to my dog (20 lbs) every other day, only because I forgot it everyday. Since he is allergic to soy though I had to stop the fish oil and now I just give him whole anchovies a few times a week.
    nbloch64
    nbloch64

Best fish oil Empty Anchovies vs Fish oil

Post  nbloch64 Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Do the anchovies provide the same benefits or better than the fish oil? What type of anchovies are you feeding and where are you getting them from?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 pm

I feed alot of wild game and pastured meat so I don't actually need to feed any oily fish but I do anyway just because he likes them and I want to be sure his skin doesn't get dry. I buy whole anchovies from Global Foods, which is like a huge ethnic market. I'm not sure how many mg of O3's each anchovy consists of but in whole unprocessed form it's definately more natural and bioavalable I'd think. Plenty of people feed fish oil though and their dogs do fine.
    nbloch64
    nbloch64

Best fish oil Empty Sardines

Post  nbloch64 Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I am looking at more posts and it appears there are quite a few that feed sardines to their dogs. I would be interested in feeding sardines and am curious as to what to look for and avoid in the product listing. Should they be preserved in oil, spring water, etc?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Wild caught, whole and frozen is the best. I would rather feed fish oil than cooked fish.
    steviesun

Post  steviesun Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:12 am

nbloch64 wrote:I would be interested in feeding sardines and am curious as to what to look for and avoid in the product listing. Should they be preserved in oil, spring water, etc?

I generally buy fish either fresh from the fish counter in a supermarket, or frozen in a supermarket. The ones I get from the cash and carry are whole, not gutted, fish. As far as I know as long as you're buying raw fish (such as sardines or mackerel) as long as it's for human consumption then you're good to go.
    nbloch64
    nbloch64

Best fish oil Empty What type of fish?

Post  nbloch64 Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

I gave them sardines packed in spring water last night and they both loved them. I understand that may not be a good alternative to providing a raw whole fish once week, but I was pleased to see them enjoy them. I have read that salmon may not be good and tilapia doesn't really provide enough nutrients. What fish do you feed? Are sardines ok to supplement in between days that I am not providing whole fish?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:55 pm