Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

5 posters

feeding supervision

Poll

do you supervise?

[ 2 ]
    feeding supervision Bar_left33%feeding supervision Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    feeding supervision Bar_left0%feeding supervision Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    feeding supervision Bar_left17%feeding supervision Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 3 ]
    feeding supervision Bar_left50%feeding supervision Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Siam
    Siam

feeding supervision Empty feeding supervision

Post  Siam Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am

I was wondering if you all watch your cats while they eat or leave them alone with their food? If you watch why? If you don't watch have you ever run into problems with animals hiding leftovers, choking etc.?
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

feeding supervision Empty Re: feeding supervision

Post  Kelly Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 pm

I put other.

We often don't supervise if it's ground or chunks of meat small enough to chew easily. We do supervise if they get large chunks they'd like to carry off, a new meat type, or whole prey.

We are ALWAYS just in the next room though, we never feed and leave.
    Jack&Harley
    Jack&Harley

Post  Jack&Harley Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm

I always stay in the room when they are having bones but when just eating chunks go and watch television in the living room, which is within earshot of the kitchen. Even with bones we don't have much issue--Harley is my take and run boy, but he usually heads for the basement landing, I feed him near the basement door.

Leslie
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:13 pm

You know, after an almost choking incident with the dog the other night (piece of tonuge), I realized this.. cats chew their food better than dogs, that may be why I feel more safe leaving them with bones and sitting in the other room.
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm

I always supervise. I don't stand there a foot away and stare but I am in the kitchen until Waverli, Amos or Brie finish. Cats may be more likely to chew carefully but I know Waverli has swallowed pieces that for whatever reason she regurgitated back up to chew better. She's also gotten soft bone stuck on her canines or the roof of her mouth and freaked out so I had to rush over and dislodge it. I am very cautious about feeding and was even when Amos ate kibble. I never let the dogs chew bully sticks or their Kongs without supervision either. Holly, our chi who passed last year, once choke on a piece of meat and was rolling around on the floor suffocating. By the time my mom ran over to her (from another room) Holly was blue and had lost consciousness and the only thing that saved her life was the heimlich. Thank God my mom is a nurse and had some clue as to what to do! So even when in another room, sometimes it can be too late by the time you hear an odd noise and run to investigate.
    Auntie Crazy
    Auntie Crazy

Post  Auntie Crazy Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 pm

I don't stay in the room and watch my cats eat, but I do check on them sometimes to ensure no one is stealing someone else's dinner.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm

AC! I forgot about that part! LOL

The only reason we really watch the cats is so they dont steal someone elses food... they all get the same damn thing, and yet... wander from plate to plate. Buggers!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:16 am