Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

2 posters

Pregnant Cat Feeding?

Fuzzmom

Pregnant Cat Feeding? Empty Pregnant Cat Feeding?

Post  Fuzzmom Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49 pm

Hello...i've got a 6 or so month old cat. Baby Athena was due to be "fixed" but has wound up waiting longer than expected. My vet wanted to wait till she was a little older as she is little. Well now she's going to be a mom. I feed premade raw..right now it's either Nature's Variety or Bravo plus some canned grainfree of various brands. She jsut started getting kinda fat acouple weeks ago now she's developing more. I can't feel movement yet but ou can definitely tell she's a mom. A few questions. How much to feed? Right now she's eating Everything that doesn't move out the way and would probably eat Me if I stayed still long enough..lol. I'm letting her have as much as she wants. unfortunately i'm staying in a "nonraw" household and she also has access to that yuck food being fed..but she prefers the raw and canned. So she can have all she wants. how will I know when she's going to deliver? i hope it's not a false pregnancy. I've heard collostrum is a good thing to keep on hand..not the kmr type stuff but real collostrum..where to find? And how can i make up a pregnant or itten appropriate diet for her and the babies/ I plan on keeping one and it Willbe raw fed right from the start. Is thre anything extra I need to add to guard against tings like eclampsia or other deficiencies? sorry...last litter i had was ike fifteen years ago the mom was dry food fed and ust sort of showed up and had them..there were there when I got home and only wonemade it..don't want to do That again. She's fine...I'm biting my nails. Okay not realy but I am excited and I want to make sure I do it right. I look forward to hearing any advice ideas or even ther people's experience with little meowies. Very Happy
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Pregnant Cat Feeding? Empty Re: Pregnant Cat Feeding?

Post  Kelly Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:19 am

I hope others can chime in more, but the only thing I know for sure is to make sure she gets as much as she wants to eat and it's healthy, both of which you seem to be doing already! So.. as far as I know, you're doing wonderfully! Wink

I've only dealt with a pregnant cat once, and it was when I was very young so I fear I wont be much help. I've heard they lick most of the hair off their stomachs and get very pink and extended nipples.. also, their "baby bump" tends to migrate lower on their bodies 24-48 hrs before it happens. That's all I got!
    Fuzzmom

Post  Fuzzmom Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi..okay good to know. Now i don't kow if I'llbe able to keep one back.hosemates....but i Hope so. It'ss her first and probabl er last litter. It was an accidental preg. Hopefully I can as I would Love to have a rawfed little meowy right from day one..especially as I would know both the parents. What abou things like fish oil or other things to keep their coats silky and glosssy we have dry heat and everyne sheds copiously. Thanks. Very Happy
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Fish oils do help keep coats nice and shiney, I don't see a problem if you suppliment (many do!).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 10:36 pm