Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

+3
Kelly
Siam
SisMorphine
7 posters

Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch

SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch Empty Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch

Post  SisMorphine Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:41 am

With our first breeding on the way, I am now looking into how to properly feed Teeny while she is pregnant and while she is nursing. I had someone send me their recipe for how they feed theirs, but it is laden with grains, and I don't feed grains in my raw. Also my breeder only started feeding raw after talking to me about it, so he isn't much help in that department (yay for converting him, though!).

Does anyone know more about raw feeding in these situations? I would prefer to stay away from grains if at all possible. Thanks!!
    Siam
    Siam

Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch Empty Re: Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch

Post  Siam Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Did the breeder happen to be on chaz? Anyways, I'm no expert, but all I've heard is that you feed more of the same thing. I have not read that they need anything special or more of one type of thing, but I'll continue to look around to see if anything comes up.

Oh, and Alapaha pups in MA....if only I were not just 17 *sigh*
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch Empty Re: Feeding the Pregnant and Lactating Bitch

Post  Kelly Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Yes, I heard the same. No breeders around here that I've chatted to lately, but it seems the general idea is what you feed the same, just more.

I'm interested to find out if your bitch will end up regur'ing for her pups!
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post  Valkyrie Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 pm

THAT would be interesting... Reminds me of wolves and hyenas on the discovery channel Laughing But I guess if Teeny is used to her raw diet she might instinctually want to share it with her pups!
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Siam wrote:Did the breeder happen to be on chaz? Anyways, I'm no expert, but all I've heard is that you feed more of the same thing. I have not read that they need anything special or more of one type of thing, but I'll continue to look around to see if anything comes up.

Oh, and Alapaha pups in MA....if only I were not just 17 *sigh*
    Yup it's one of the breeders on Chaz. She's sending me her specific instructions, but I know she adds grains and that's just not how I feed my raw.

And don't worry, even though I live in MA she will be whelping up in middle-of-nowhere Maine (at her breeders), so no temptation Wink

And I sure hope she doesn't regurge! Though it'll definitely be interesting to see if she does. *vomit*
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:18 am

I've never heard of bitches regurgitating for their pups. Usually the pups will steal a taste of mom's food so no worries. Just feed what you normally feed, just more. You're right, they don't need grains. Ever.
    Puppydog
    Puppydog

Post  Puppydog Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:30 am

Ack! Who is the father? Is it going to be Blue Monster?
    ess
    ess

Post  ess Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:01 pm

We feed our preg and lactating bitches the same but lots more of it. They will know how much they need to eat. I also make sure they have a egg, shell and all three times a week. Just feed a good viarity of meats bones and organs.
    Our females have never regurgitate for her pups that I have saw.
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 am

Puppydog wrote:Ack! Who is the father? Is it going to be Blue Monster?
    Nope not Blue-bie Boobie this time around. Though he is planned for the future. This litter will be sired by Oldham's Dozer.
    SisMorphine
    SisMorphine

Post  SisMorphine Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 am

ess wrote:We feed our preg and lactating bitches the same but lots more of it. They will know how much they need to eat. I also make sure they have a egg, shell and all three times a week. Just feed a good viarity of meats bones and organs.
    Our females have never regurgitate for her pups that I have saw.
    Ess do you use pre-made or make your own?
    ess
    ess

Post  ess Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 am

I make my own
    Puppydog
    Puppydog

Post  Puppydog Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:18 am

I can't WAIT for pictures!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:36 am