Raw Pet Food

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raw Pet Food

A forum for raw-feeding families to chat, discuss, and learn!

3 posters

New contact: lamb/goat &geese/duck

Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

New contact: lamb/goat &geese/duck Empty New contact: lamb/goat &geese/duck

Post  Kelly Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Browsing my local Kijiji in the pets section, brings up farmers selling lamb/goat/geese/etc.

All these adds are either for whole live animals, or animals for slaughter for human food.

Lately, I've been contacting them asking about stillborns and natural deaths (accidents/old age/etc).

So far, I've found a lamb/goat farmer willing to sell me babys that die at $5/per and ADULT ewes and goats for $10/per!

The goose/duck farmer is offering to just save up any deaths and give them to me for free!

*in raw heaven*
    Heather
    Heather

New contact: lamb/goat &geese/duck Empty Re: New contact: lamb/goat &geese/duck

Post  Heather Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Just be careful with the goats/sheep that they did not die of a parasitic infestation. Are they pastured? No vaccines or antibiotics?

You may also want to try it out and not fill your freezer quite yet. Amos refused to eat a lamb that died of malnutrition. I believe they smell that something was "off" and the animal was not healthy. Not all dogs are like that but something to keep in mind if your cats or dog don't eat it.

Good find!!
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info re: goat/sheep. I would assume this is taken care of with antibiotics or somesuch because these are sold for human food. I will still inquire!

So far, we have nothing. I am only trying to make many contacts, so that I have avenues to go down for cheap/free meat. If our cats/dog will not eat it, we also have rawfed family members who would (or we can always compost!).
    Timothea
    Timothea

Post  Timothea Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Paradites can be dealt with by freezing for ~3weeks, and sometimes something will be eaten frozen that won't be eaten thawed. When frozen the smell is not so strong, so a picky eater may eat something that it normally wouldn't if frozen first. I had this problem with chicken skin when I first gave it to Charlotte, someone suggested freezing it, and no problem. True though that some animals will just refuse something no matter what.
    Great idea though about the naturals. Next you'll tell us you're raising your own?
    Heather
    Heather

Post  Heather Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Kelly you should grow your own! I think I'm going to pasture raise goats, sheep, rabbits and chickens when I am settled down in my own home.
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Admin

Post  Kelly Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 am

*LOL* ONE DAY! My mom has a farm, and I imagine if she gets more into the "raw" she will start to raise her own. On my end, I was considering raising my own rabbits once we get a house. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:19 pm